• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Roosevelt possible DDO
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Not sure about this one but hopefully someone will be. My first question is how to carefully get the build-up out of GOD in order to see what may be doubling. I know how to appropriately and safely “de-scum” copper cents with acetone but I’m simply not sure about a clad dime. 
The rest of this coin appears to be a very good match to the pictures I compared it to complements of Variety Vista for the FS-101 listing of this potential variety. (Sorry if the pictures are not in the order I intended).  Thank you to all who view and comment. 
-Greg

2D6D776A-F8A9-4537-81EF-62ACF902DB66.jpeg

CA86CDD4-8B4A-4540-92C7-27838BADF021.jpeg

21FB9086-3E3C-4C7D-B2A2-980F01A771D1.jpeg

85C3723B-3DF7-40E0-B995-196801ADA2D9.jpeg

1FDEC269-B0AB-4E95-96F7-9B6BFB2A63BF.jpeg

CE173392-4692-49C0-8D89-5D324FE933FB.jpeg

1 hour ago, Moxie15 said:

go to variety vista and look for a match. 

Uh..... I did. I explained that in my opening post narrative ..... that’s why I decided to post it here :) 

Edited by Greg Bradford

1 hour ago, Moxie15 said:

spend it and move on. I see nothing on or about that dime that is worth keeping. If you think it is a DDO then go to variety vista and look for a match. 

I also meant to add that this variety is recognized by TPG’s as a valid DDO. It is definitely a difficult one to recognize and I’m not saying that this is one but it very closely resembles the VV listing. I was kindly looking for some input on an appropriate way to clean the gunk from this coin being that it is a clad. As I mentioned, I know acetone is safe for copper but is it safe for this?  Thanks. 

Use acetone to clean it. You'll need the real acetone from your local hardware store. Follow safety directions as it's very flammable. Pour some in a glass cup or jar and drop the coin in there and let it soak for a little while til it looks like the gunk is coming off. Some say to rinse with distilled water after you pull it out but I've used regular warm tap water with no issues. 

I was able to remove all the build-up on this coin to reveal its details. Unfortunately, as good as several aspects of this coin appeared to be very promising, I am unable to see any doubling inside, or around, the letters of GOD.  It does have many attributes that closely match VV’s example of this variety but without the doubling in GOD I believe this is a dead end. Thank you for your help.