• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2015-D penny SM/LG Date or blunt/pointed tip at bottom of 5
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, came across these penny's and been looking at them for the pass couple of days. Idk if I'm investigating these to much or I'm just confused. One date looks odd then the other. For some reason the two dates don't match up correctly and one's fatter and the other is skinny. Plus the bottom tip of the 5 is pointed and other is flat tip. Thought I would share, but I'm still learning to figure these out. Very interesting, any help would be appreciated. Thanks 

20201229_121557.jpg

20201229_121329.jpg

20201229_100119.jpg

20201229_100231.jpg

20201229_120719.jpg

20201229_100702.jpg

Seeing there is no known variety on the date, my only explanation is that the blunt 5 has taken a hit on the tip. By increasing the size of your photo, you can see a slight notch on the bottom where the tip has been broken off.

As far as the thick and thin numbers, it looks like the thick number die is starting to wear and has some deterioration causing a thicker number.

(Best I can come up with)

A couple of reasons come to mind; one is die state progression, and two it could be slight variation between two different obverse dies.   The sharper tail of the five is likely struck from an early die state die and the flatter tail of the five is from a mid or later die state die.  As the die strikes coins it wears and becomes flatter and losses some relief, that makes the design and lettering broader and lower in relief.  The other possibility is that one die was a better, more sharply impressed die, from the start.  My guess is that you are looking at strikes from different die states, but that is just my guess. 

Thanks guys, I just wanted to add , when putting a line over and under the date especially the skinnier date, that 1 is higher then the 5. But the fatter date is even all the way across. Idk I might be wrong, but this is a cool piece. I hope I explained that good enough lol. Maybe you guys have the right tools to kind of matching the level of the date. Hmmm 

If you are really curious about this, you might want to try collecting as many examples of this date/mint mark combination as you can find, and compare them. Take pictures of them, making sure the coins are all aligned the same, and crop them like Patrick did, to make it easier to compare them side-by-side.

4 hours ago, Just Bob said:

If you are really curious about this, you might want to try collecting as many examples of this date/mint mark combination as you can find, and compare them. Take pictures of them, making sure the coins are all aligned the same, and crop them like Patrick did, to make it easier to compare them side-by-side.

Hi bob,  I've been pulling Philadelphia and Denver 2015s out and still nothing to compare to that coin.  Greenstang is right, the tip on the one has taken a hit. I'll just put it to the side to compare when I find 2015s. Also true need to crop and aligned to compare side-by-side. Thanks