• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 D DDR quarter

7 posts in this topic

Is it just me or just a coincidence. I've been watching all the coins people has been asking about being doubled. It seems to me most of the machine doubling seems to go toward the outside of the coin. Its like it flows outward when the die strikes it. Is this just my imagination or am I kinda guessing right. Thank you for the input. 

Your partially right Hoghead. Machine Doubling is usually caused by a loose die that after it strikes the coin, moves slightly when releasing causing a ridge somewhere on the devices, depending on how the die moved. This also causes the device to be smaller. When you see “Doubling” where everything is flowing towards the rim, that is usually caused by Die Deterioration and is called DDD, Die Deterioration Doubling.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Machine Doubling and Mechanical Doubling are relatively recent terms (last 15 years or so?), while Strike Doubling is the term that's been used for a couple generations now. It is still used by NGC in explaining to submitters why their "doubled-die" coins are not so certified, because it is the best description of what happened.