• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts and suggestions, please!

4 posts in this topic

Last year I spent a fair amount of time building three custom registry sets with the intent to update the historical write-up in each as I discovered new information. Unfortunately, given the dumpster fire that this year has been, I only found the time to update one of the three sets. Throughout this year, I have gleaned a ton of new knowledge from digital archives, articles, books, and conversations with several more knowledgeable numismatists. I have done my best to condense and incorporate this new information within the set, but there is always something new to learn. This particular registry set is significant to me as it represents the core of my collecting interests, but my primary purpose for building it was for others to enjoy it. With that in mind, I would like to see what others think and solicit suggestions for improvement. I am not fishing for compliments, but I would like to get a feel for what other collectors (both experienced and new) find useful and maybe learn a thing or two from some of the more knowledgeable collectors that frequent this forum. If you have the time and are interested, I would greatly appreciate your input!

Here is the set description:

Although my ambition is to build a complete collection of the Soho Mint pieces, this would be an unrealistic goal. Instead, my goal is to accumulate a representative sample of Soho pieces that depict the height of artistic and scientific ingenuity of the era. In completing this goal, I hope to bring knowledge to those interested by providing detailed pictures and accurate descriptions. A great deal of numismatic history remains to be explored by those unfamiliar, and what better way to learn than by looking at a selection of handpicked specimens?

Here is the link to the set : https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=27859

These are the types of coins and medals currently contained within this set. 

Presentation1.thumb.jpg.3cd51f5c4a05f9179036ec7639b2e282.jpg

*****If this is against forum rules, I apologize and request that the thread be deleted.*****

....custom registry sets, at least from my personal experience, are mostly like the proverbial government mule or forgotten stepchild, seldom visited and even less appreciated.....i know mine are rarely viewed, most of the views are my own....sort of out of sight out of mind....for the most part custom sets are for your own satisfaction and pleasure....they do provide great reference sources if they are well done and well documented....it mostly comes down to subject matter, if its something where there is decent interest you get decent visitation if its a very shallow interest community then shallow visitation and appreciation....

34 minutes ago, zadok said:

....custom registry sets, at least from my personal experience, are mostly like the proverbial government mule or forgotten stepchild, seldom visited and even less appreciated.....i know mine are rarely viewed, most of the views are my own....sort of out of sight out of mind....for the most part custom sets are for your own satisfaction and pleasure....they do provide great reference sources if they are well done and well documented....it mostly comes down to subject matter, if its something where there is decent interest you get decent visitation if its a very shallow interest community then shallow visitation and appreciation....

Your point is undoubtedly true, and one of my sets, "Change for a gold pistole?" is an excellent example. It has only garnered 202 views since 8/15/2019. My other set, "Social elitism: As told by the history of English copper 1694-1807" has been viewed 467 times since 8/20/2019, but I am sure the honor it received from NGC last year boosted those numbers. The set in question "What comes next? You've been freed. Do you know how hard it is to lead?" has received a bit more attention with 684 views since 8/15/2019. Of course, there is no telling how many of those "views" are from me clicking on them, so using this as a metric for interest is of little help. Surprisingly several members have reached out to me in the past to comment on one or more of these sets. This is a rare occurrence, but it means a ton when a fellow collector takes the time to share their thoughts. There are some truly exceptional custom sets here worthy of more attention. I wonder if NGC plans to migrate the custom sets to the new registry page in the future, which might bring more attention to them.

20 hours ago, coinsandmedals said:

Your point is undoubtedly true, and one of my sets, "Change for a gold pistole?" is an excellent example. It has only garnered 202 views since 8/15/2019. My other set, "Social elitism: As told by the history of English copper 1694-1807" has been viewed 467 times since 8/20/2019, but I am sure the honor it received from NGC last year boosted those numbers. The set in question "What comes next? You've been freed. Do you know how hard it is to lead?" has received a bit more attention with 684 views since 8/15/2019. Of course, there is no telling how many of those "views" are from me clicking on them, so using this as a metric for interest is of little help. Surprisingly several members have reached out to me in the past to comment on one or more of these sets. This is a rare occurrence, but it means a ton when a fellow collector takes the time to share their thoughts. There are some truly exceptional custom sets here worthy of more attention. I wonder if NGC plans to migrate the custom sets to the new registry page in the future, which might bring more attention to them.

I enjoy looking at the custom sets that are here and ATS, many are excellent sets with many different themes and information contained in them.  But as noted they get very little recognition, particularly now as they are separate from the main registry page here.  My set has over 8K views but I started it in 2005 so it has had a lot of time to garner views.  I would like to see all the custom sets get more attention and if I recall correctly the custom sets are supposed to be moved into the new registry format when it is done, but still no definite timeline has been announced just yet for that to be finished.