• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEWBIE Question: Is the American Eagle 2020 One Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin worth grading?

6 posts in this topic

If you are speaking about the standard bullion coin, it is worth melt value plus a small premium.  Once you spend a minimum of $67 having it graded, if it doesn't come back as 70 coin it is still worth melt value plus a small premium.  So if you bought it recently and then paid for grading you will now have in it more than it is worth and you will have to hope for rising gold prices to get you out of the hole.

15 hours ago, Charles Alan Read said:

NEWBIE Question: Is the "American Eagle 2020 One Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin" (released 11-19-20) worth grading?

I would not grade bullion coins. As stated unless you get a 70 you are upside down.  That being said I also do not believe 70 is anything special for a modern bullion coin.  I would spend the $ elsewhere in my collection vs grading a bullion coin.

20 hours ago, Charles Alan Read said:

NEWBIE Question: Is the "American Eagle 2020 One Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin" (released 11-19-20) worth grading?

Sorry if this is a stupid or redundancy question. I just wanted to see if this coin is worth the extra expense/effort in grading. Informed opinions are most welcomed!

It is what it is. I've done it with NCLT coins. It is a judgement call. Money isn't everything but it is your money you'll be spending. So unless there are other considerations, think twice.

Depends on what you want to achieve.  If you just want to protect the coin then a kointane or other similar holder will do the job for far less.  If you are considering selling and want to roll the dice for an MS70 then it may be worth your time and money, just depends on you.