• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970-D reverse of 68 and some other stuff
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Here’s a pretty neat find. I’m pretty sure this is a reverse of ‘68 but this one also looks to be a greaser too. This is the second 1970 Rev. of ‘68 I’ve been lucky enough to find. Not worth a whole lot but still a neat find nevertheless Just thought I’d share it. Thanks. 

2D8DC154-580B-4468-BD6A-63071A43A6E9.jpeg

3D49EFBF-995E-478B-B3E2-EF7E939D3A9C.jpeg

15 minutes ago, RWB said:

Can you describe the differences for us?

The difference is on the reverse and deals with the flame of the torch. The normal 1970 P or D mint die did not exhibit the much more defined flame atop the torch. You can see the much more incuse design detail on the flame as apparent by the deeper “groove”. The normal die did not have this detail and the flame was more robust without this deeper design element. I will find pics to compare and post them. PCGS recognizes and has photos of this die variety. 

Here is a quick screenshot from PCGS showing they recognize this variety. (with all due respect and rights of course).  One moment and I will attempt to upload pics of the difference. 

14800AA9-57EF-4996-B1EA-F39C0E6EECC1.jpeg

Our hosts also recognize the variety, and provide a side-by-side comparison picture and a short explanation on the Variety Plus page.

This reverse die was taken from the hub intended for proof dies of 1968-70 and not used routinely for currency strikes until 1971-80

818701-1-1535737904.jpg

10 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Our hosts also recognize the variety, and provide a side-by-side comparison picture and a short explanation on the Variety Plus page.

This reverse die was taken from the hub intended for proof dies of 1968-70 and not used routinely for currency strikes until 1971-80

818701-1-1535737904.jpg

Thank you Just Bob for this comparison. That’s great and a very good explanation👍. For the record, by no means whatsoever did I intend on downplaying NGC, NEVER would. These guys are absolutely great! I am more than grateful for their expertise and commitment to numismatics and hosting this wonderful forum and chat board for us all to take part in. It’s just that I have always used the other TPG’s pictures and info since I started collecting and it’s simply second nature to me to quickly scroll through and find what I am looking for. And not to say, with time, I couldn’t do the same thing here (guess it’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks....😁). Thank you for your response and posting that info. 

Here is the final 5-inch galvano for FDR dime reverse. Note that detail is much better than on the 1946 coin photo, above. [Photo by Army Quartermaster Corps, Philadelphia.]

FDR Rev.jpg

Edited by RWB

23 hours ago, RWB said:

Here is the final 5-inch galvano for FDR dime reverse. Note that detail is much better than on the 1946 coin photo, above. [Photo by Army Quartermaster Corps, Philadelphia.]

FDR Rev.jpg

Thanks RWB for the photo. From what I can see, there are three distinguishable design elements within/on the torch flame amongst these examples. 

Sculptor Lee Laurie did a lot of "coaching" of John Sinnock before the final obverse and reverse were ready for reductions. [I have a detailed FDR dime article ready for publication. It's built on previously unknown letters, descriptions and photos.]