• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original or fake Liberty Head

8 posts in this topic

Hello
Do you think this coin is genuine or counterfeit ?

If original . What is its quality and price?

Thankful

bzjar3yvdwppttoazuje.thumb.jpg.fd0e37ea944bb48e9da62c1b99f99ca4.jpgka3xnzaqsvuek3knubxb.thumb.jpg.cb85c4ffba8ffa69910649f474bccd69.jpg

Edited by Mti

I don't like it.  Something about the date strikes me as being wrong, and the fact the obv has very well struck rim and dentils while the reverse has fading dentils and basically no rims seems very questionable to me.  I think the glory and rays should be stronger where they pass by the stars above IGWT.

Seems counterfeit looks brassy in color. Tough to tell in picture. Rim's are strange are the stars appear weird as well. Doesn't look like gold to me or maybe it's the lighting. But don't toss it just yet. Maybe keep it for comparison to a genuine one and for reference. 

Concur... It looks fake to me with they mushy details of the hair and liberty.  On the reverse the Eagle looks mushy or greasy The details are not sharp even for a circulated issue.    which is not typical for such a grand coin.

One of the common features of most counterfeit coins I’ve noticed is the lack of detail or poor strikes which is why I try to avoid as much as possible coins in Fine (F) or Very Fine (VF) condition. I remember once purchasing a coin from a dealer which I wasn’t happy with because of its poor strike. It turned out to be genuine because I sold it for its bullion value. It’s not the first coin I sold off and replaced.