• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Experience needed and advice appreciated

5 posts in this topic

image.thumb.jpg.19cebdb28527b5c4e382be0db69da3d8.jpgHello everyone. I am pretty new to collecting. This is actually the first forum i’ve posted on. The reason I am posting is that I think I made a huge find today. But don’t want to get my hopes up yet. I have found at least 10-15 presidential dollars with very weak to no lettering on the edges. Both type a and b. Most are in really good condition. In total I got 85 coins. Mostly presidential and Sacajawea. and five Susan B Anthony 1979 dollars. In very good condition I believe they are wide rims as well. If anyone can give me advice I can put pictures up if I need to. I would love to hear back thank you.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Luckyhunter

Your SBA dollars are NOT wide rim/close date coins.

The Lincoln does show weak edge lettering, unfortunately this is not uncommon.  The coins are produced in two steps, first struck by the dies in the press with a plain edge collar, then run underpressure through a lettered edge die to impress the lettering into the edge of the coin.  The problem is the letters are not that deep and the pressure applied to force the letters in is  shall we say, touchy. Too little pressure and the coin just rolls over the top of the letters and receives little or no impression.  Too much pressure  and the coin doesn't roll properly resulting in it either sliding and causing improper spacing of the letters, or in extreme cases the coin doesn't roll at all and slides over the letters while they gouge a groove in the edge of the coin.  It's like Goldilocks, the pressure can't be too low, or too high, it has to be just right.  On your coin it was too low.