• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burned eagle
1 1

22 posts in this topic

I purchased one of the 2020 s silver eagles when they came out from mint. When it came in it had a blue spot on it like it had got hot or something. You know how when you stick a torch or something very hot to a piece of metal it leaves a blue spot. Thats what it looks like to me. It could be something else. I have never seen anything like that on a coin. Anyways my question is what process at the mint would cause that?  Also, is that a common occurrence or what could have happened? Do you reckon it was missed at quality control?  Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to look at it. 20201117_182845.thumb.jpg.3cae86131357fc0796fd8e4b1cc1c33d.jpg

Contamination after the coin was struck but before it was put in the capsule. It cannot be repaired. Return the coin and request a replacement.

Says he bought it from the mint and since it is now in a slab he apparently had it slabbed.  Under their guarantee NGC isn't responsible.  He is stuck with it.  he says when it came from the Mint it had the spot.  So why have it slabbed?

Or did you buy it that way from a third party Hoghead?

Lol. I had it slabbed not knowing any better. Just a stupid costly mistake I have to learn the hard way from. It is the very first coin I've ever had slabbed in my life. One those nookie mistakes 

Ill probably just keep it in slab and have it to look back on. Use it as a learning experience.  Do you recon over time it will spread or will it stay that size. 

Since air flow in and out of the slab will be very low any continuing growth of the spot should probably be very slow.  Especially since it appears that whatever contaminant was on the surface to cause the spot is no longer there. 

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:
1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

Since air flow in and out of the slab will be very low any continuing growth of the spot should probably be very slow.  Especially since it appears that whatever contaminant was on the surface to cause the spot is no longer there. 

]

Thank you for taking the time to help me. If I ever encounter that again ill know. Sometimes people gotta learn from stupid mistakes. 

That kind of toning spot is commonly seen and only detracts from the value of a typical coin.  A classic situation is when a coin is in a 2x2 or flip, and a tiny hole permits air to enter, creating just such a distraction.

8 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Lol. I had it slabbed not knowing any better. Just a stupid costly mistake I have to learn the hard way from. It is the very first coin I've ever had slabbed in my life. One those nookie mistakes 

What did it grade?

The contamination might still be on the coin, but it doesn't matter. The damage is done and cannot be undone. Air circulation in the slab is immaterial - the contamination initiated a chemical reaction that will continue on the surface and into the body of the coin.

...not totally accurate...damage done is just that damage done n almost always not reversible especially on a proof coin surface...whether air circulation or influx of oxygen is immaterial or material depends on the contaminate n type of chemical reaction, if an aerobic reaction then more oxygen is needed to continue, if an anaerobic reaction then it can continue without oxygen....in either case this particular coin is what it is...an imperfect proof that reacted with an external contaminant....

3 hours ago, zadok said:

...not totally accurate...damage done is just that damage done n almost always not reversible especially on a proof coin surface...whether air circulation or influx of oxygen is immaterial or material depends on the contaminate n type of chemical reaction, if an aerobic reaction then more oxygen is needed to continue, if an anaerobic reaction then it can continue without oxygen....in either case this particular coin is what it is...an imperfect proof that reacted with an external contaminant....

The points are: the damage has been done, a slab offers no meaningful protection, and less exposure to contaminants reduces likelihood of damage. Detailed examinations of this problem - gold and silver spotting, "copper" spots, etc. - in Austria, China and Australia clearly describe the mechanisms and most common contaminants, plus prevention. The only remediation is to melt and refine the metal.

...comments from a true non-collector...the issue was whether oxygen deprivation could prevent continuation of certain types of contaminant reaction, obviously u r not getting enuf of it....to expand ur logic if any coin isn't pristine n uncirculated it should be refined since it is now impaired....I suspect many, many collectors n maybe a few tpg mite take exception that slabs offer no meaningful protection, but that's just my opinion... 

My wife sure isn't gonna let me live it down. All I heard for 2 days is " I tried to tell your dumb a#@  !"  Along with a few other harsh words. She gets mad anyways whenever I go to spend any money on this hobby. She really got tore up when she found out I threw 60 dollars away to slab a contaminated coin. 

44 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

My wife sure isn't gonna let me live it down. All I heard for 2 days is " I tried to tell your dumb a#@  !"  Along with a few other harsh words. She gets mad anyways whenever I go to spend any money on this hobby. She really got tore up when she found out I threw 60 dollars away to slab a contaminated coin. 

My wife has now virtually slapped you as well.