• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learning to Grade Morgans

7 posts in this topic

I got an Idea about what I think this coins grade should be. Im curious what others might think. I'm debating with my self over whether or not to spend the money to get it pro graded.

MD 1890 P Ob MS65.jpg

MD 1890 P Rev MS65.jpg

Sorry, but the pictures aren't clear enough for me to offer an opinion. I can't tell what is chatter from what may be lighting or in the plastic. I could go AU58 to MS64 from those pictures. 

Not worth having a TPG "grade" the coin. Get a copy of the ANA Grading guide- excellent and a lot cheaper. (The coin is not uncirculated.)

Edited by RWB

...the coin may or may not be uncirculated, no one can conclusively determine exactly from the quality n details of ur photos, opinions n statements to the contrary r just that opinions or speculation... as previously mentioned it could be anywhere from au to mid range ms...the flatness on the hair above the ear could be from a weak strike or wear, ditto the feathers on the eagles breast...of more concern the marks on the rim could relegate the coin to details consideration...the estimated value of this coin after tpg would be in the $50-$80 range, so shipping to n from plus handling fee n grading fee would negate most of that value, unless some other personal reason to have it graded its a diminishing proposition from a financial consideration...if u don't have access to some of the various grading books u can go old fashion n use photograde to get a good idea of its grade, it is still available as a free resource online as far as I know...