• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roman coin?

11 posts in this topic

Hi there.  I'm Jeff and a new guy here.  I found this coin among a bunch of pennies I have (looking for a 1943D).  At first, I thought it was just a mashed up penny because it was covered in some sort of layered crud and I couldn't see any image.  So I took a soft brush and water to it, then later a terrycloth towel to rub whatever substance was on it, which produced this.  Greek?  Roman?  I've seen some similar coins on line but I'd like to know really what it is, perhaps a date, who/what the images are, and possible worth.  It weighs about 2 grams and is not magnetic.  Thanks in advance.

coin.jpg

coin 1.jpg

IMG_1492.JPG

It's a late Imperial AE3 (common copper coin). I believe. Probably genuine, as it is doubtful anyone would fake up a piece worth maybe $5. Likely Constantine I, Constantius II, or Constans--four-century Caesars or Augusti. Exergue looks to proclaim it minted at Sirmium, a rather common mint. If you want to go looking on Wildwinds, which will be a bit problematic since the obverse legend is so muddy, here are your cues. Obverse: draped (also possibly cuirassed bust right, diadem (pearls). Reverse: legend FEL TEMP REPARATIO (a very common one; the phrase is an in-joke between my ancients mentor and I at our coin club, means 'return of good times' or as Larry puts it, 'let the good times roll'). Design is the fallen horseman, a very common one. In the field left I see what is an N or an H, and that is the most unique thing about the coin, thus your very best cue. Exergue SIRM or SIRH (the last letter being an oficina or sub-mint mark). The oficina could also be that blob after the letters, which could be a dot or a number of other images.

It will be a challenging search requiring dedication just to winnow the field down to a few candidates, but this is how ancient numismatists develop ourselves, so that's your call. If you undertake it, good hunting.

Well...wow.  "Wow" for me at least.  I've never come across a coin this old, so it's really cool!  I'm surprised that this coin is a common find today, if I understand you correctly, and only worth $5.  Should I keep cleaning it to get the remaining gunk off?  I do see a minute glint of copper on the front side (lower right).  Thank you so much for the details.

6 minutes ago, Papaw9 said:

Well...wow.  "Wow" for me at least.  I've never come across a coin this old, so it's really cool!  I'm surprised that this coin is a common find today, if I understand you correctly, and only worth $5.  Should I keep cleaning it to get the remaining gunk off?  I do see a minute glint of copper on the front side (lower right).  Thank you so much for the details.

No, you should never have cleaned it in the first place unless it was so crudulated you couldn't tell what it was, and at this point you should stop cleaning it in any way. By baring the copper you've already started to damage it further than it already was, so it's past time to end that process. I wasn't going to make an issue of it, but since you asked, that's a candid answer.

1 hour ago, Papaw9 said:

Thanks for that.  And yes, a layer of crud so much that there was no detail at all....smooth on both sides.  I'll stop and put it in a case.

In cases where you can't make anything out at all due to crudulation, there's a simple rule: soak patiently, never scrub. There are a number of soaks that would loosen up the crapulation without abrading the surface. While it's possible to ruin a coin with soaks, it's certain to ruin it with scrubs. There are a very few people who can make exceptions to that; they know who they are, and they are neither you nor me.

Good to know and I’m just thankful this coin isn’t a rare one that would be ruined. Is there a special component to a common soak or is it just like dish soap and water?

1 hour ago, Papaw9 said:

Good to know and I’m just thankful this coin isn’t a rare one that would be ruined. Is there a special component to a common soak or is it just like dish soap and water?

There are a number of options and it kind of depends what you're trying to knock off the coin (and what the coin is made of). For example, if it's bronze disease, there is a baking soda/washing soda mix that will eventually remove it. Distilled water is an option in some cases. I myself do not know much about it because I don't typically buy coins that are covered in crudulation. You might look up a site called Dirty Old Coins, run by Rasiel Suárez, who is somewhat regionally well known out here and who has published some extensive Roman coin catalogues. I think his site has instructions for how to remove a lot of old mess from them.

1 hour ago, Papaw9 said:

thank you.  I appreciate all the info you've provided.

You're welcome. If people knew how relatively inexpensive ancients could be, they'd get more interested in them. The challenge of identifying them lasts a lifetime.

On cleaning/conservation, here's the Cliff's notes. First, figure out what's on the coin. If it's dirt, bronze disease, corrosion, PVC, whatever it might be, deduce that. Once you have deduced that, research a relatively safe soak designed to address that situation. This makes far more sense than, for example, just reflexively soaking every coin in this or that solution. If you do it scientifically, and lean toward patient and non-destructive soaks, you can get the crapularity cleaned off without abrasion. Abrasion is the enemy. Rather than abrade, you'd probably be better off going to the trouble to set up an electrolysis bath.

Distilled water is as close to an “always start with this” as you’ll ever find. When in doubt, distilled water. And patience, by the bucketful. Hurriedness is your enemy.

Edited by VKurtB