• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

George II Conservation

4 posts in this topic

Hi, all.  I surface collected this George II half penny on a farm while arrowhead hunting this morning in central Connecticut.  I'm so excited that I found this!  Anyway, I wanted to know how best to conserve it.  I've read a million different opinions and I just wondered if there was a consensus (probably not) on how best to treat this coin.  At the moment, it is soaking in distilled water.  Should I try to remove the green patina at some point with a tooth pick or soft brush, or is that a giant no-no?  I ordered some ren wax and it'll arrive on Monday.  Should it stay in water until the wax comes?  I've got a million questions!  Thanks for looking and I appreciate your feedback!

PXL_20201113_132321723.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201113_132519554.NIGHT.jpg

While it is a very cool find, it doesn't look to me like you are going to remove much corrosion with any means of cleaning. Corrosion is of course a reaction of external factors with the metal, and the result is new compounds that include some of the metal. Over centuries, much metal can be lost, and I think it has been here. I don't think it's coming back. Of course, the flip side of that is that you don't have much to lose by trying.

It might. Before you seal the surface in, though, I'd think you would want to blow off the corrosion. The only coin I ever considered paste waxing was a coin of Magnentius that had bronze disease, which looks like a smurf sneezed on it, and blowing the disease off the coin took me weeks of patient soaking in the right solution. In the end I did not wax it because I was not sure about the roughened areas where the smurf mucous had been, and because I could always go back and do it later but I could never undo it.