• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare Japan 10 yen
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,  was searching through some world coin's and came across this Japan 10 yen. I can't find anything but on YouTube on this.under the video in the description it says it's the most expensive and rare coin of Japan. I'm going by the markings under 10 it's mind boggling. I believe it might be a 1944. I don't really listen to anything YouTube has, but it's a 35 second video and has 5 thousand views. It's the only one with the same markings under the 10 on the coin that I have found. I hope someone can give me a little more info on this. Thanks 

20201111_111827.jpg

20201111_111927.jpg

It is a “hyper normal” 10 yen coin, of the type still being minted to this day. The “stuff” under the “10” identifies the emperor and the ordinal year (1st, 2nd, ... 28th, etc.) of that emperor’s reign. 

27 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

It is a “hyper normal” 10 yen coin, of the type still being minted to this day. The “stuff” under the “10” identifies the emperor and the ordinal year (1st, 2nd, ... 28th, etc.) of that emperor’s reign. 

I was wondering about that, thanks 

28 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

And the lovely wreath and bow... what do they represent?

Looks to be Showa Year 41, about 1966. Krause lists it at $0.20 in EF, which I don't think this is. I would appraise it at face value, which I think the yen is worth roughly a US cent, so about a dime.

Those are not "markings." Those are characters. The first two verify what Moxie15 said, that it's Showa. Numbers are 4 10 1, then the character for "year." The way the Japanese write their multiples of ten is to say "four ten," for example, for 40. To learn more about how to decode these, here is a great page that talks about it.

7 minutes ago, JKK said:

Looks to be Showa Year 41, about 1966. Krause lists it at $0.20 in EF, which I don't think this is. I would appraise it at face value, which I think the yen is worth roughly a US cent, so about a dime.

Those are not "markings." Those are characters. The first two verify what Moxie15 said, that it's Showa. Numbers are 4 10 1, then the character for "year." The way the Japanese write their multiples of ten is to say "four ten," for example, for 40. To learn more about how to decode these, here is a great page that talks about it.

Thanks JKK,  I was going by that chart also. I must have done it wrong. That can get confusing a bit. Your right,  and Moxie15 is right also it has a smooth edge. Like I said, it was mind boggling while researching this coin. But I learned something cool in the past couple of days. Interesting 

Just now, Hinkle said:

Thanks JKK,  I was going by that chart also. I must have done it wrong. That can get confusing a bit. Your right,  and Moxie15 is right also it has a smooth edge. Like I said, it was mind boggling while researching this coin. But I learned something cool in the past couple of days. Interesting 

One thing to note is that they changed directions in which they wrote the numbers, I think around 1947. If the characters for the Emperor are leftmost, as with your coin, I think that's how you tell it's left to right. The one for Year should then be rightmost. Before the changeover, I think the order is reversed. I'm not an expert on this, though.