• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a 1787 NJ Copper Error 1787/1887

12 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.  No, it isn't.  Your coin is an obverse 48, if you post a picture of the reverse I can ID the variety.  The 1787 over 1887 is not an error but a variety,  35-W.

2 hours ago, l.cutler said:

Welcome to the forum.  No, it isn't.  Your coin is an obverse 48, if you post a picture of the reverse I can ID the variety.  The 1787 over 1887 is not an error but a variety,  35-W.

Wow, I thought I had a winner....lol....thank you....I figured the grade to be fine.  What do you think?

2 hours ago, l.cutler said:

4 minutes ago, dbaird8630 said:

Is that an 8 under the 7 though????  Could it be a new variety?

Nope, that is a 48-g.  It is a Rarity 1 variety which is very common.  Great piece of history, I love the New Jersey coppers!

3 minutes ago, dbaird8630 said:

Is that an 8 under the 7 though????  Could it be a new variety?

It looks like corrosion, with the coin in such a rough condition it has many 'ghosts' of images. 

Just now, l.cutler said:

Nope, that is a 48-g.  It is a Rarity 1 variety which is very common.  Great piece of history, I love the New Jersey coppers!

They are awesome.  Alot of varieties to run through.  Thank you

Just now, l.cutler said:

I have to check to be sure, I think I am up to a little over 20 varieties.  They can be very pricy though when you get into the rarer ones!

Yes they can, I had it pegged at a 48-g.  Very cool coin.  I payed 50$ for it the other day.