• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020-D penny "Spiked Head"
1 1

5 posts in this topic

By just looking at the coin, it didn't seem to go from the rim to Lincoln's head. But I used the scope and it does. Looks like there was a smudge in between. What do you all think, does this one count as a spiked head. 

20201101_141525.jpg

20201101_142121.jpg

20201101_142257.jpg

23 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

that is machine doubling, sorry but it has no premium

You must be preferring on the reverse at the left bottom of coin. I pull about a dozen of them out of rolls in a day or two. That is obviously a die crack going from Lincoln's bust/head . And through his hair .Machine doubling and die cracks are two different things. I was just making sure with the smudge that brakes it off in between still counts. 

That might be an early stage spiked head but I don't t think it is prominent enough to count. You shouldn't have to put it under a scope to see it. Probably after a few more strikes it would be large enough to see.

I'd agree that it's a minor die defect.  Considering the billions upon billions of Lincoln cents, this kind of quality anomaly is bound to slip through the mint just based on the "law of large numbers".