• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reliable coin cleaning information for the newbie

15 posts in this topic

HI All,

This is my first posting here. How are you?

I've visited some utube.com pages and viewed information regarding the cleaning of coins and it struck me  that some of it was purely based on nothing but the opinion of the presenter. It seems to me that if a coin has been cleaned via such and such method, that the surface of the coin could be measured with modern and up to date equipment that will provide much more reliable information to the lay person.

Light diffraction across the surface of the coin could provide the basis for such a measurement since it will bounce in a different manner depending on the topography of the surface of the coin.

This subject is of a very scary nature to me because much of my trading for coins is done online and images can be manipulated to hide so many imperfections.

What's your take on this subject?    

Welcome to the forum.

The usual reply to any question about cleaning coins is "Don't!" While there are a few methods that are considered safe, anything that involves rubbing, brushing, using abrasive or acidic/alkaline cleaners, or any other method that changes the color or surface of the coin should be avoided, especially by the novice collector. Even the "safe" methods should only be used by someone who knows what they are doing. "Original surfaces" are the look desired by most collectors, and anything that even looks like it has been cleaned or altered in any way is usually shunned.

And, in general, avoid taking numismatic advice from Youtube. Most videos are designed to get views, not to educate.

Hi,

Thanks for your input but I'm sure all rules have their exception. Say you are eating a salad with lots of vinegar and you happen to overturn the bowl on top of your coin collection and most of the coins received a heavy bath in vinegar, salt, pepper and you name it. 

Common horse sense would dictate that you immediately clean those coins to rid them of the very acidic soaking they got since vinegar will etch the surface of the coins and that's the last thing wish.

What about when a coin has spots of silver sulfide? Left to its own designs the chemical reaction will continue to cover the surface and most collectors will not wish to purchase the coin on account of its terrible eye appeal...what do you do then?

So, it appears there are a number of circumstances when cleaning the coin is the most desirable course of action. Yet and still I do agree it's a step left to the more nuanced understanding of an experienced coin collector.

As Just Bob noted, "Don't try to clean a coin" unless you plan to ruin it.

As to technology, coin collectors seem to be slow to embrace objective specimen measurement and categorization. They will argue and complain about problems, but then rail against obvious solutions along the lines of your suggestion. The hobby is diffuse which makes getting new solutions into the use of collectors difficult.

9 minutes ago, silverdrag'n said:

Hi,

Thanks for your input but I'm sure all rules have their exception. Say you are eating a salad with lots of vinegar and you happen to overturn the bowl on top of your coin collection and most of the coins received a heavy bath in vinegar, salt, pepper and you name it. 

Common horse sense would dictate that you immediately clean those coins to rid them of the very acidic soaking they got since vinegar will etch the surface of the coins and that's the last thing wish.

What about when a coin has spots of silver sulfide? Left to its own designs the chemical reaction will continue to cover the surface and most collectors will not wish to purchase the coin on account of its terrible eye appeal...what do you do then?

So, it appears there are a number of circumstances when cleaning the coin is the most desirable course of action. Yet and still I do agree it's a step left to the more nuanced understanding of an experienced coin collector.

Your anecdote is more "disaster recovery" than intentional cleaning. (Presumably, eating a salad next to an exposed coin collection is not a standard practice -- unless one wants a bit of sulfide toning on the silver pieces.)

The surface of most coins is reactive because of the copper used in alloy. Silver is also reactive but less than copper. As you are aware once a chemical species of copper or silver is altered, its appearance changes and it cannot be restored. Each chemical change is accompanied by a physical change in molecular size and reactivity; these cannot be reversed on a coin.

Edited by RWB

Yes, it is more "disaster recovery" than any planned coin cleaning. Shouldn't the prudent coin collector immediately search for a way to stop the acid from further attack upon the coins surface? There has to be reasonable middle ground here folks.

1 hour ago, silverdrag'n said:

Say you are eating a salad with lots of vinegar and you happen to overturn the bowl on top of your coin collection and most of the coins received a heavy bath in vinegar, salt, pepper and you name it. 

I hate it when that happens.

Water and a little dissolved baking soda will neutralize acetic acid (vinegar). Rinse in plain water, then 95% alcohol. Air dry - do not rub, pat, tap, squeeze, smoosh, fold, finger, spindle, weld, solder, braze, grill, saute...or broil.

Edited by RWB

And this is why the first thing I eat with my coin collection are my trusty fig bars and milk.......I hate milk spots......

but they are inevitable especially with my nervous condition............

On 10/30/2020 at 7:21 AM, silverdrag'n said:

Yep, but the newbie who comes by wants a "one size fits all" explanation of how to clean their coins  so you boil it all down to the simplest level and either tell them don't do it, of give them the one suggestion that is least likely to hurt them (and which probably won't help them either) rinse with distilled water..

It's pretty reliable, just not very effective.

Edited by Conder101

Cleaned coins belong on the shelf. Collector’s ultimately sell for a profit or leave them for family when they leave earth. Eventually the cleaned coins which collector’s regard as the amount punched on the coin in the first place aren’t worth collecting