• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fractional ownership... of baseball cards... ? This can't be good.

160 posts in this topic

On 10/28/2022 at 11:40 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Jeff Garrett has written several pieces in 2021 and 2022 saying that our hobby has definitely seen an influx of participants and/or $$$ chasing the same number of coins (hence higher prices):

https://rarecoingallery.com/articles-by-jeff-garrett/the-rare-coin-market-is-hot-heres-how-you-can-make-it-work-for-you/

Garrett is a financial promoter first and a collector distant second.  This is how he writes his articles for Coin Week, which I presume are the same ones on his site.  In every article of his I have ever read he's always measuring the "health of the hobby" by the price level.

If Garrett gets his wish, the traditional collector is going to get priced out of many coins they previously could afford. Yet just like forum members, I also already know he's going to claim how the "leftovers" will still supposedly be so interesting.

On 12/25/2022 at 8:34 AM, World Colonial said:

I think ESPN airing his games when the NBA wasn't playing had something or a lot to do with it.

They mentioned "The Last Dance" on ESPN and that probably helped with all the people who grew up with Kobe and LeBron.

On 12/25/2022 at 8:42 AM, World Colonial said:

Garrett is a financial promoter first and a collector distant second.  This is how he writes his articles for Coin Week, which I presume are the same ones on his site.  In every article of his I have ever read he's always measuring the "health of the hobby" by the price level.  If Garrett gets his wish, the traditional collector is going to get priced out of many coins they previously could afford. Yet just like forum members, I also already know he's going to claim how the "leftovers" will still supposedly be so interesting.

I get where you are coming from, but isn't a (slowly) rising price level better than a FALLING one or a flat one for decades ?

Look, I don't really care if my coins go up or down in value and I guess you can say it's in my best interest if gold and coin prices are flat for the next 10-15 years while I accumulate them and then they miraculously triple in price during my Final Year. xD 

But I don't think that will happen. :)

On 12/25/2022 at 12:25 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I get where you are coming from, but isn't a (slowly) rising price level better than a FALLING one or a flat one for decades ?

Look, I don't really care if my coins go up or down in value and I guess you can say it's in my best interest if gold and coin prices are flat for the next 10-15 years while I accumulate them and then they miraculously triple in price during my Final Year. xD 

...i see nothing adverse with flat prices on virtually anything...its called stability....

Slowly rising is probably better from the standpoint of most collectors.  That's my guess.

Garrett isn't anywhere near the worst.  Still, those who agree with him are more interested in maximizing prices and profits because it's a business to them first, not a hobby.

Would I like it if the value of coin collection fell in half?  I'm not selling my primary series (by choice) and it probably would mean fewer coins are available versus more.

I'd actually consider other coins as side collections (not my primary interest), if the prices were more "reasonable".  There are too many coins and series which are not "reasonably" priced anymore (not just US) because too much of the price is based upon the holder label.  I'm not just referring to 30, 40, or 50 years either.  I'm referring to 20 years or less.

I'm not spending thousands, $10K, $20K or more on a series or a bunch of "one offs" which collectively used to sell for (a lot) less because the coins aren't remotely interesting enough.

Yes, I agree with you, accumulate until you sell.  But a small though noticeable proportion are interested in maximum appreciation all the time.

On 12/25/2022 at 12:46 PM, zadok said:

...i see nothing adverse with flat prices on virtually anything...its called stability....

But nothing with monetary value stays unchanged for long periods of time...except currencies in a fixed-exchange rate regime. xD

On 12/26/2022 at 11:31 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

But nothing with monetary value stays unchanged for long periods of time...except currencies in a fixed-exchange rate regime. xD

...true but i liked it better when i was buying rolls of DE for $72 a pop....

Saudi Arabia's love for soccer could cause ripple effects (cnbc.com)

No, there is no conceivably comparable model which will ever apply to coins or other mass-produced collectibles, no matter how creative anyone tries to be.

Direct quote from the article:

“Sports investment is attractive. You won’t necessarily get a substantial return on your investment financially, given the high prices they are likely to have to go and pay for a club of that stature, but the non-financial return on investment as we’ve seen is a positive one.”

On 1/6/2023 at 9:54 AM, World Colonial said:

Saudi Arabia's love for soccer could cause ripple effects (cnbc.com)

No, there is no conceivably comparable model which will ever apply to coins or other mass-produced collectibles, no matter how creative anyone tries to be.

Direct quote from the article:

“Sports investment is attractive. You won’t necessarily get a substantial return on your investment financially, given the high prices they are likely to have to go and pay for a club of that stature, but the non-financial return on investment as we’ve seen is a positive one.”

...dont forget the t-shirt u get with the club logo....