• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is this? Error?

14 posts in this topic

I found this in a bank wrapped roll of pennies recently. I am perplexed as to what it is. It has the full detail of a Lincoln Wheat Cent, right down to the stairs and Lincoln himself in his memorial. His facial features are identical to a real cent, including beard and hair. It is slightly larger than a penny, and discolored greenish. It is curved. The rims look as if they were being pushed together (so the rim looks liek a 'u' almost). Any clues? Please look at the attached photos.

825530-1846-O.jpg.be195191b4c3c4d4e81dfaeb4958e415.jpg

Looks like it was heated with a torch on one side which caused the discoloration and warpage since it is made of two disimilar metals that expanded at differrent rates.

I found this in a bank wrapped roll of pennies recently. I am perplexed as to what it is. It has the full detail of a Lincoln Wheat Cent, right down to the stairs and Lincoln himself in his memorial. His facial features are identical to a real cent, including beard and hair. It is slightly larger than a penny, and discolored greenish. It is curved. The rims look as if they were being pushed together (so the rim looks liek a 'u' almost). Any clues? Please look at the attached photos.

It appears to be 10-15% larger than a normal cent. I'd rule out the blowtorch because that wouldn't account for the larger size. It is possible that it was produced by a CNC machine equipped with a laser cutter. These computer-controlled systems can scan an object in 3-D and scale it the same as, larger or smaller. The heat generated from the laser and the metal used may account for the warpage. However, there appear to be slight differences around the area of the lapel and the proportions of the neck.

Because it is a copy of a circulating coin, it may be subject to confiscation.

Chris

It appears to be 10-15% larger than a normal cent. I'd rule out the blowtorch because that wouldn't account for the larger size. It is possible that it was produced by a CNC machine equipped with a laser cutter. These computer-controlled systems can scan an object in 3-D and scale it the same as, larger or smaller. The heat generated from the laser and the metal used may account for the warpage.

Because it is a copy of a circulating coin, it may be subject to confiscation.

Chris

The size will increase from the torch because it will never contract to its original size or state of being. This type of warpage is from central heating of two metals bonded together. Like the metal in a mercury bulb thermostat.

The planchet is not only larger, but so are the devices and details.

That could not happen other than post mint.

I've got a hunch it is either the above, or someone was playing with a couple of strips of leather and a ball ping hammer.

I've got one of these, dated 1935 that is the size of a quarter, holdered by PCI as a "Novelty Coin" "Artifically Stretched" I'll dig up and photo over the weekend.

I have one just like this. I'd be interested in knowing what it is as well.