• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a 1776 Continental Coin Real or Fake?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2023 at 9:38 AM, Sandon said:

@TheArtofHorror--Welcome to the NGC chat board. In the future, it would be better to post questions about specific coins as new topics in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum. NGC does not give free advice about the authenticity or grade of coins and apparently does not respond to posts in this forum after responding to the original author of the topic.

Your piece is almost certainly one of the extremely common "replicas" (fakes) that have been sold as novelties or souvenirs over the years. Compare its darkness, rough surfaces, and weak lettering and details with these photos of a genuine continental dollar from the NGC Coin Explorer:

Continental Dollars

Continental Dollars

Thank you for this information. I am new to the board and was just excited to find a thread on what I was searching for. I will post new topics for any future questions. Thank you.

On 8/11/2023 at 12:25 PM, TheArtofHorror said:

Thank you for this information. I am new to the board and was just excited to find a thread on what I was searching for. I will post new topics for any future questions. Thank you.

Don't worry about it. You haven't committed any breach of etiquette or any other kind of posting faux pas. This is one of several threads concerning Continental currency, and lots of posters have used it to show their examples, which, unfortunately have all been fakes. I imagine that previous posters found this thread while searching for information on their pieces, just as you did.  You adding one more post to the thread does absolutely no harm. As my kids say, "It's all good."

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks very much I appreciate that. I just had wishful thinking I was about to win the jackpot for early retirement. The  replicas do seem to have at least some value on eBay ranging from very little to very high so until I learn more about it I suppose I will hold onto it! I’ve just been going through my old coin collection from my childhood and excited to see if I have any gems in there, so far, not much, hehe, but looking forward to learning more about them, thanks again. 

On 8/11/2023 at 8:21 PM, Just Bob said:

Don't worry about it. You haven't committed any breach of etiquette or any other kind of posting faux pas. This is one of several threads concerning Continental currency, and lots of posters have used it to show their examples, which, unfortunately have all been fakes. I imagine that previous posters found this thread while searching for information on their pieces, just as you did.  You adding one more post to the thread does absolutely no harm. As my kids say, "It's all good."

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks very much I appreciate that. I just had wishful thinking I was about to win the jackpot for early retirement. The  replicas do seem to have at least some value on eBay ranging from very little to very high so until I learn more about it I suppose I will hold onto it! I’ve just been going through my old coin collection from my childhood and excited to see if I have any gems in there, so far, not much, hehe, but looking forward to learning more about them, thanks again. 

On 8/11/2023 at 12:16 PM, Greenstang said:

That one looks like it may have been cast.

Agree. That is the first thing I thought when I saw it. The pitting in it led my thought immediately to die cast.