• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Happening at the ANA?
1 1

162 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I would also be interested in what the very early ANACS certificates looked like.

Here ya go...

The Numismatist 12-72 ANACS certificate.jpg

On 10/26/2020 at 11:54 AM, VKurtB said:

I support NO changes in the method of electing the board of Governors, full stop. I'm not philosophically against making the Immediate Past President a voting member, IF we could find a way to get back to an odd number of voting members. 10 is too risky for ties. Probably better not to screw with it at all.

Make it nine like the U.S. Supreme Court.  Problem solved.

On 10/17/2020 at 5:23 PM, VKurtB said:

But even with O’Hare right there, dealers STILL leave the venue too early. 

That's on the conference sponsor.  We have the same problem with our 2-day show where folks like to start packing up mid-day on Sunday.  But when we have folks paying for a 1-day admission that day it's not the right atmoshphere to have folks cleaning up their tables.

Dealers who insist they have no choice but to pack up early are given less favorable spaces so they are less visible.  And we try and enforce no packing up until like 3 PM or so.

On 10/30/2020 at 10:43 AM, Zebo said:

Inflation 

Yep, those state quarters have about the same purchasing power as those cents Kurt and I put in those blue folders back in those early days.

I would also be interested in what the very early ANACS certificates looked like.

Here ya go

Thanks David, that lets me know there was no change between 1972 and 1975.

Edited by Conder101

My humble (or 'humbug') opinion is that coin shows need to be completely reimaged. This would address well known problems, and the approach of newer and curious collectors.

These things haven't changed since the earliest money changers set up temporary tables outside temples during religious festivals to exchange 'foreign' coins for good local money suitable for offerings.

Edited by RWB

20 minutes ago, RWB said:

My humble (or 'humbug') opinion is that coin shows need to be completely reimaged. This would address well known problems, and the approach of newer and curious collectors. These things haven't changed since the earliest money changers set up temporary tables outside temples during religious festivals to exchange 'foreign' coins for good local money suitable for offerings.

Please list the changes you would want at a show like FUN which I attended for the 1st time earlier this year. (thumbsu

I've posted some suggestions (and set to ANA and show sponsors) multiple times here and on PCGS. Maybe they are still around. Since no one cared, I've given up on anything changing until the whole mess gradually falls apart like a vine-choked house of rotting wood.

The following is but a figment of my mischievous imagination...

VKurtB volunteered to tackle the problem of the ANA buoyed by the prospect of having little choice but to duke it out with die-hards in the battleground state [Commonwealth] of PA.   In my dreams I fully expect him to knock the Board of Governors' door down with the same ranting and raving Barnacle Bill the Sailor displayed after he busted through Olive Oyl's door in the old Popeye cartoon.  So. not to worry.  Anyone who leaves his hometown in the middle of one of the most contentious Presidential elections in United States history obviously has a sense of purpose, proportion, propriety and priority.  If anyone can solve the mystery of the fate of the ANA, ultimately, it will be the "huff 'n' puff and blow 'em all down"-style well-suited to VKkurtB, a Type A contender on the elevated plain of old-fashioned ruggedness...  Then my dream ends.

"...elevated plain of old-fashioned ruggedness..."

Sounds like grain storage in Iowa.

Edited by RWB

The boring ones are going on now. Candidates with the fewest votes get the board seats, the others sit in the floor and smoke "Prairie Mushrooms."

On 11/7/2020 at 3:15 PM, punkaccountant said:

When are the next ANA Board elections?

The process begins anew this coming January, and the new Board is seated at the banquet of the 2021 World's Fair of Money in August.