• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I have New Eagles and Buffalo's graded?

7 posts in this topic

Hello- I am wondering if its better to keep US mint packaging for Gold and/or Silver Proof coins.  Seems Silver makes sense to keep in original cases due to cost but what about Gold.   Does having a Proof coin (Silver/Gold) actually increase value?   Is it worth the expense and hassles?    Looking to get a sense-  Thanks so much

Shaun

Haven't heard of counterfeits being a high risk on recent US Mint gold.  Other than that, can't see that it would make any financial sense orf improve marketability other than if you can get a "70".  Then it might make sense though depending upon what you have, these are really common also.  I would check recent eBay prices first.

30 minutes ago, McDuffee Collection said:

Hello- I am wondering if its better to keep US mint packaging for Gold and/or Silver Proof coins.  Seems Silver makes sense to keep in original cases due to cost but what about Gold.   Does having a Proof coin (Silver/Gold) actually increase value?   Is it worth the expense and hassles?    Looking to get a sense-  Thanks so much

Shaun

I believe that far more times than not, it would be a waste of money to get such coins graded.

All you would do is increase your cost for the coin. If you really want them in a plastic holder then buy 'em that way in the beginning.

(One of the greatest risks of damage and contamination comes from removal of the coin from its original holder. That increases the time exposed to air, dust, moisture, chemicals, handling, etc. -- so why do it?)

Edited by RWB

On 10/10/2020 at 3:33 PM, MarkFeld said:

I believe that far more times than not, it would be a waste of money to get such coins graded.

Yes, this.  I have two graded ASE's, both gifts from people who didn't know better. All the grading of an "eagle" of any metal accomplishes is raising your costs. Virtually no one ever pays more for slabbed eagles, even for 70 grades.

Edited by VKurtB

5 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Yes, this.  I have two graded ASE's, both gifts from people who didn't know better. All the grading of an "eagle" of any metal accomplishes is raising your costs. Virtually no one ever pays more for slabbed eagles, even for 70 grades.

Thanks much for the feedback!!   i appreciate it.  That was my gut too but I see so many graded it made me wonder

1 hour ago, McDuffee Collection said:

Thanks much for the feedback!!   i appreciate it.  That was my gut too but I see so many graded it made me wonder

Some for registry sets but most probably from bulk submitters, dealers and telemarketers.