• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reeded Lincoln?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Found this today. I know it’s probably trivial but just looking for some feedback on what may have caused this for my future knowledge. I did look up other examples of this “possible” Mint damage, even read an NGC board post, but it seems this usually happens on severely off center strikes and then the “reeded” edge, which seems to show on the entire edge, is caused by the wrapping machine due to the coin being a bit larger in diameter than a normal Cent. Not sure...
At first I thought this coin took a PMD hit due to the slightly flattened edge on the obverse. Upon further inspection, I saw that it appears to have a small reeded spot as you can see in the pics. Thank you for your input. 
-Greg

74E7E43C-C520-4814-9736-3545A08513EF.jpeg

F017711D-1A95-4599-8F6F-9A11DDF134FA.jpeg

3A0B7377-51A1-4DB8-88D0-8F46272DE880.jpeg

F3E21E0E-8F2C-43B0-BD6E-5564716E1DB1.jpeg

On 10/8/2020 at 3:35 PM, Greenstang said:

I'm going to go with your first thought Greg and say it is damage from a hit. You can see from your side shots (excellent pictures by the way) where the rim has been raised from the metal being pushed in. This would not happen during the striking of the coin.

Thank you Greenstang for your post and for your picture compliment. I only use my iPhone and a 10x loupe to take my pics. It has proven pretty effective and sometimes results in good pics. 
I was leaning towards PMD but thought I’d post it just in case. I had my suspicions that the bent rim would not be a result of the minting process but the “reeds” just caught my attention. Thank you!

On 10/8/2020 at 4:32 PM, Coinbuf said:

Looks like PMD from contact with a gear or something along that line.

Hello Coinbuf. Thank you for your comment. The bent rim was suspect to me from the beginning but the good lines on it kind of threw me off. Chalk this one up to PMD. Thanks!

On 10/10/2020 at 10:23 PM, Just Bob said:

Is there any damage or marking on the rim 180 degrees opposite this bent spot?

Hi Bob. I replied to your question on Saturday but for some reason it did not go through..... my WiFi service at home is down and our cell service is horrible.... maybe that was the problem. 
There is a small indent on the opposite side of the edge of the coin but it does not have any “reeding” look to it. Under high magnification it does appear to have some very small striations though. Maybe PMD... not sure. It is also not exactly 180 degrees. I can take a pic of it if you’d like. Thanks.