• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there any chance this coin is not PVC stained?

7 posts in this topic

I like to have this coin if it is PVC free.
Konnichiwa Tarosan. Nagai aida owaishimasen dea ga. Ogenki deaka?

The white appears to be on the raised elements of the design, but not the fields. Most PVC damage I have seen is likely to affect both, especially at their boundary.

Have you given up half dimes for Meiji coins? wink.gif

Thanks for precious opinions, folks.

This is "20sen" coin minted in 1870 and I'm a bit nervous about PVC because the only "20sen"(mine is from 1871) I own is now at PCGS to get the PVC removed.

Roy san

Hisashiburidesu

I'm trying to build a type set from Meiji era...although I'll never afford 20 yen gold coin wink.giftongue.gif

The grading services will dip coins upon request and reholder them. However, if the coin has damage underneath the toning, the grading service may not reholder the coin. NGC is very good about requests.

TRUTH

You could always break it out yourself and dip it a few times in acetone. That would not harm the coin, and it would remove all traces of PVC. But it wouldn't fix any damage that might be on the coin.