• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upcoming high value Auctions

34 posts in this topic

[I feel a whole lot better knowing I am being ignored by an insignificant number of people who belong to a hobby that cannot fill a third of the subway trains running during the morning and evening rush on any given weekday.]

1 hour ago, gmarguli said:

2 million coin collectors in the US? Seems very high. There are only around 30K ANA members.  Lots of people buy proof sets or have a box of Morgan dollars from Las Vegas, but I wouldn't necessarily call them coin collectors. What about the people who collect from change, are they coin collectors? In my opinion, there is a difference between a true coin collector and one who just buys mint products or has a small accumulation of coins.

I include all the examples in your post as "collectors" but based upon your definition, it's a lot lower.  I don't think ANA membership is relevant in the internet age.  So I wouldn't use that to estimate the collector base.

There is no consensus definition of collector.  Personally, I would consider a noticeable proportion of the buyers of the more expensive coinage more financial buyers but these people do support a higher price level which was the primary point of my comments.

But using your definition, this additionally explains why out of my estimate of potentially 100+ "collectors" who can potentially afford this 1794 dollar why none of them bought it.

1 hour ago, gmarguli said:

Wealthy Chinese want their money out of China. Either a piece of land in a stable country or tangible property that is easy to hold in a safe country. I'm sure many buy gold, but that is not practical for the very wealthy. Just $1 million would be 400 double eagles, or 20 PCGS blue boxes filled. Not practical.

I agree that wealthy Chinese gravitate toward real estate.  That's why Chinese in the aggregate purportedly own in the vicinity of 60+MM empty apartments.  I doubt though that however many own physical gold abroad that they are storing it themselves in large volume.  Personally, I'd probably store it in Switzerland.

Two-way capital flows between the US and China dropped to a nine-year low: Combined direct and venture capital investment between the two countries totaled $10.9 billion in 1H 2020, the lowest level since 2H 2011. The drop would have been even larger if not for one especially large acquisition carried over from last year.

https://rhg.com/research/twowaystreet-1h2020/#:~:text=Chinese FDI in the US rebounded slightly due,of a minority stake in Universal Music Group.