• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1856 flying eagle one cent
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I need help with this coin please. Is it real? Your help and opinion please. Is it safe to take a coin like this to a local coin dealer and drop it off to check for authentication? Do they coin switch?

IMG_20200904_135603.jpg

Can you show a pic of the Obverse. Are you sure it has a date of 1856? The lettering looks off to me but need to see the front. There are other members that are better than me on knowing if its a fake. 

It should be illegal to make fakes. It's not nice to trick people. I got this one from my local bank when I asked for a box of pennies. The box was sealed and is full of many other coins that raise my eye brows. 

8 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Can you show a pic of the Obverse. Are you sure it has a date of 1856? The lettering looks off to me but need to see the front. There are other members that are better than me on knowing if its a fake. 

I posted pic of front but it went to a new post instead of this one. Sorry. I will try again

This appears to be an 1858 that was altered to look like an 1856.  The shape of the five is that of of the style used in 1858 not the style used in 1856.  Sorry to have to hand out the bad news but altered and counterfeit coins are very common for some dates.