• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999-D NJ Quarter - odd coloration?

4 posts in this topic

I have a 1999 D NJ quarter as mentioned, and it is very golden in color. The coin is in very good condition and it doesn’t look like tarnish. It is by no means a solid gold, but looks like it almost has a thin gold plating. I know pictures would be helpful, but I haven’t been successful in getting a photo with lighting that won’t distort the color. Is this anything that is known or likely odd metal coloration that can happen? I know a definitive answer is impossible without seeing it and will try to figure out how to get a photo. 

Many of these were gold plated and sold on sites like the Home Shopping Network. The plating adds nothing to the resale value, and, in fact, would prevent the coin from receiving a grade. Your coin may be one of these.

9 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

I have a 1999 D NJ quarter as mentioned, and it is very golden in color. The coin is in very good condition and it doesn’t look like tarnish. It is by no means a solid gold, but looks like it almost has a thin gold plating. I know pictures would be helpful, but I haven’t been successful in getting a photo with lighting that won’t distort the color. Is this anything that is known or likely odd metal coloration that can happen? I know a definitive answer is impossible without seeing it and will try to figure out how to get a photo. 

There were many sold by third parties with a very thin gold plating. It is likely one of those.