• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2099- help identifying
1 1

4 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, JKK said:

Nepal, one Nepalese rupee, circa 1954 (VS 2011). Cu/Ni. That's the Devanagari --script.

Thank you JKK. Now I know where to start lol. I had no clue where to begin on this coin. But I have another one that I'll post. I might need to get a foreign language book so I can translate. Ahahahah. 

Just now, Hinkle said:

Thank you JKK. Now I know where to start lol. I had no clue where to begin on this coin. But I have another one that I'll post. I might need to get a foreign language book so I can translate. Ahahahah. 

Helps a lot to read a lot of alphabets. Several languages are written in Devanagari or a close kin, notably the Hindi language that is one of the dominant tongues of India. Note also that there are many dating systems: Vikram Samwat for Nepal, Buddhist Era for Thailand, Jewish Era for Israel (I speak Hebrew and I still need a table of dates for those) After Hegira for much of the Islamic world, Solar Hegira for some other parts of it, and regnal year for many (Ottoman, Japan).