• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1917- Republique francais
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Thought this was walking liberty at a distance lol. But also a interesting one. Thanks for any info. Can't find some of these in the book. 

20200902_075313.jpg

20200902_075354.jpg

The contemporary French 10 centimes piece in copper, about the size of a half dollar, is one of my favorite coins.

National trends and styles are one of the most fascinating aspects of world coinage. You can nearly always count upon the French for elegance; the olive branch here is a clear hint at a desire for peace, rather a popular idea by 1917, and their motto beats most for powerful simplicity. If you ever get a look at a Vichy coin--and it's not hard; they're plentiful and show up in assortment bins--you will be struck by the fascist touches. "French State" vs. French Republic: "Work, Family, Country" vs. liberty, equality, brotherhood; the Frankish axe vs. a beautiful woman in a flowing robe.

Just now, JKK said:

National trends and styles are one of the most fascinating aspects of world coinage. You can nearly always count upon the French for elegance; the olive branch here is a clear hint at a desire for peace, rather a popular idea by 1917, and their motto beats most for powerful simplicity. If you ever get a look at a Vichy coin--and it's not hard; they're plentiful and show up in assortment bins--you will be struck by the fascist touches. "French State" vs. French Republic: "Work, Family, Country" vs. liberty, equality, brotherhood; the Frankish axe vs. a beautiful woman in a flowing robe.

The Huns were not into beauty, says the guy thoroughly Hun on both sides of his family.

28 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

The Huns were not into beauty, says the guy thoroughly Hun on both sides of his family.

As someone half Hun, I embrace the term "Kraut," myself. I even grew up in one Kraut religion and later ended up in a far Krautier one. To keep the topic to coins on some level, though, I'm a big enthusiast for the sheer quagmire of pre-unification German States coinage. Is that one Hesse-Hassenpfeffer or Hesse-Hochenluger? Many happy hours just figuring out what it is.

15 minutes ago, JKK said:

As someone half Hun, I embrace the term "Kraut," myself. I even grew up in one Kraut religion and later ended up in a far Krautier one. To keep the topic to coins on some level, though, I'm a big enthusiast for the sheer quagmire of pre-unification German States coinage. Is that one Hesse-Hassenpfeffer or Hesse-Hochenluger? Many happy hours just figuring out what it is.

The British Royal Family throws around the term "Hun", even to describe Prince Phillip, so I thought I'd play along. Hey, maybe I'm about 8 gazillionth in line to the throne! (:

3 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

The British Royal Family throws around the term "Hun", even to describe Prince Phillip, so I thought I'd play along. Hey, maybe I'm about 8 gazillionth in line to the throne! (:

Well they ought to, considering their origins.

Just now, JKK said:

Well they ought to, considering their origins.

Let's see, a Greek prince whose native tongue was German. Hmm. Greek + German = Geek? Nah.