• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HiBid auctions
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone used HiBid auctions yet or know anything about them? They are being advertised on this site and others. I looked at a few of there coins and have seen one that appears to be counterfeit. I'll take a closer look at it, but will not be able to make a positive determination off of a photograph. So like anywhere else these days - bid with a carefully and questioning eye. I'm not impressed with their photographs...

Im not saying the auction house is bad or anything, just interested to see if anyone has dealt with them. There are good and bad counterfeits out there and even some of the most experienced dealers are duped by them. I know I have fallen for at least one. The dealer reluctantly refund my money after charging a minimal restocking fee. I purchased another knowing 99% sure it was counterfeit - which it was. This was from a reputable dealer who swore it was genuine. I retuned it for a full refund and it was meltd down. I will purchase from this dealer again, but not the first one that I mentioned.

Edited by Zebo

HiBid is just a platform, and there are myriad different auction houses that use it; it's kind of analogous to eBay, where eBay is just providing the software. As with eBay, buyer beware is a good policy to have. I have purchased many coins on HiBid, but it is definitely a challenge trying to determine grade and authenticity sometimes, as the quality of photos and descriptions vary wildly from one auction house to another. There are some really good houses using HiBid -- even Legends Regency auctions are on there, and there are many smaller local houses that are really good, as well --  and some less so. Read the terms for each auction carefully: the buyer's premium, shipping policies/costs, etc. also vary from one auction to another, and while some will guarantee authenticity many will not accept returns for any reason whatsoever.

I looked at the site briefly, seemed like a hodge-podge of over priced "stuff" that dealers might get in a bulk deal that they would want to sell to another accumulator.  There might be some good things but in the short time I spent the site seems rather difficult to navigate and I just did not want to spend the time to figure it out. 

hi bid is simply a software supported bidding platform, similar to invaluable, proxibid, auctionflex etc etc etc, it is not an auction house,  vendors subscribe to and utilize it as one of many such platforms available to their customers...similar to ebay, items u bid on and buy thru hi bid r transactions between urself and the individual vendor, u r not buying anything from hi bid....no two hi bid auctions r the same unless by the same vendor...each has its own merits and faults, as in any auction...buyer beware, read the fine print especially as to fees, shipping charges and returns...degree of professionalism and quality of items depends on the selling vendor...there may be some recourse for filing complaints against fraudulent vendors thru hi bid but I doubt they will settle any monetary matters....I personally have bought many items thru hi bid auctions without issue, but u need to conduct due diligence on the vendors u r dealing with as in all auctions....

9 minutes ago, zadok said:

hi bid is simply a software supported bidding platform, similar to invaluable, proxibid, auctionflex etc etc etc, it is not an auction house,  vendors subscribe to and utilize it as one of many such platforms available to their customers...similar to ebay, items u bid on and buy thru hi bid r transactions between urself and the individual vendor, u r not buying anything from hi bid....no two hi bid auctions r the same unless by the same vendor...each has its own merits and faults, as in any auction...buyer beware, read the fine print especially as to fees, shipping charges and returns...degree of professionalism and quality of items depends on the selling vendor...there may be some recourse for filing complaints against fraudulent vendors thru hi bid but I doubt they will settle any monetary matters....I personally have bought many items thru hi bid auctions without issue, but u need to conduct due diligence on the vendors u r dealing with as in all auctions....

I've seen one of the less than stellar vendors on this platform. Very poor photographs and when I asked for better photos, he said he would do that. I replied that's okay - I won't bid then and proceeded to tell him that it appears that his coin is a counterfeit (95% sure) and that Ihope he'll do the right thing. Better photos would help.

11 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I looked at the site briefly, seemed like a hodge-podge of over priced "stuff" that dealers might get in a bulk deal that they would want to sell to another accumulator.  There might be some good things but in the short time I spent the site seems rather difficult to navigate and I just did not want to spend the time to figure it out. 

My experience exactly.  When you walk into a bookstore and ask where a certain subject matter is kept, the last thing you want is to be directed to a pile of books and to be told is it's in there somewhere, if we have it. With only a cursory glance (until my patience was exhausted) I got the impression organization was not a part of their psyche and there was no method to their madness.

Mostly overpriced for the gold I was looking for. Many were ungraded, probably cleaned, cracked, put in flips, and the handwritten grades were way off. (AU55, maybe a forgiving AU50). A lot of everything tho, fun to browse, just have to be wary like Ebay and everywhere else.

It's been two years since I even thought about HiBid until someone brought it up last week and upon investigation I am sorry to say my opinion of it remains unchanged. Numismatists have a love of the hobby.  What I saw depicted there was akin to someone turning to an assistant with no knowledge (or love of coins, bars, etc.) saying, Here, get what you can for these. Translation: Here, get rid of this!  Truly sad.