• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 D DDO?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Just came across this one I thought I’d share and for some discussion. PCGS nor NGC has any DD’s listed for this year and mint. I checked coppercoins and they do have some listed for this date and mint but nothing of this sort. Looks to me to be true doubling especially on the lips and under the nose. Any input is appreciated. Thanks. 3EC84F83-0589-430C-981A-913AFB7B2ABD.thumb.jpeg.978800e81a1b7e3bccf4e1bd49f2c455.jpeg

61552967-DC8B-4081-83F4-DF620B1EC655.jpeg

CBEE7499-F82C-4EBE-8ADE-BA5353981350.jpeg

49DF3675-3C8D-4E7D-97CD-60C2649E8667.jpeg

Can you provide photos close ups of the letters of IGWT, there is a possibility of a match to DDO-003 or DDO-002.  The difficulty is that your coin is well worn and we may not be able to see the splits in the letters clearly enough to identify.

21 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Nice photography Greg but sorry to say that it looks like MD to me.

Thank you Greenstang. It’s just that the rounded image around the lips and nose really got my attention.  Nothing shelflike I can see. 

4 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Can you provide photos close ups of the letters of IGWT, there is a possibility of a match to DDO-003 or DDO-002.  The difficulty is that your coin is well worn and we may not be able to see the splits in the letters clearly enough to identify.

One moment. Let me try.....

48 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Coinbuf, I took numerous photos but they did not turn out very good and there aren’t any visible splits in the letters. Like you said, the coin has seen better days but the date and mint mark are well preserved. IGWT has taken a beating over the years but I’m going to post some of the pics I was able to somewhat clearly take for your reference and at your request. At one point the letters may have been more discernible in determining if this was doubled. LIBERTY looks good but not sure if that helps much. I did go on variety vista just now and looked at the varieties you listed  The top of the N, the top of W and the bottom of the G are the only letters that may possibly look to have, at one time, been doubled. Thanks. 

8EA2AAF0-6D35-4FB7-9EFD-3B137FD1843C.jpeg

8D7B1784-238E-475F-965C-79BF1C5143F8.jpeg

36C97015-C2CD-4B57-84D1-C4E03C93D582.jpeg

B143E3B7-95D5-4C9C-A46E-2D47AB31DA59.jpeg

625ACAFE-F908-41E9-B721-D9ACAA746031.jpeg

3551DBB6-0454-4C2C-9821-E81F360B9874.jpeg

But hey.....on a side note...... I did come across two decent 1969 D no FG’s in the same roll!!!  So at least I got that going for me...... lol  

If you feel like investing the time and money to have it verified I think there is a very good chance that this is one of the two I listed, but as I said the condition of the coin may make getting it verified difficult.  I also don't think that this minor DDO has much value due to the condition of the coin and the obscurity of the DDO, but its not a part of the market I follow very closely so you might want to research what these are bringing out in the market.  I've used your photos and circled what I see that seems to match what VV shows, the notch on the "W" and the ridge of the "G" are especially telling I think.

g.jpeg

r.jpeg

w.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

If you feel like investing the time and money to have it verified I think there is a very good chance that this is one of the two I listed, but as I said the condition of the coin may make getting it verified difficult.  I also don't think that this minor DDO has much value due to the condition of the coin and the obscurity of the DDO, but its not a part of the market I follow very closely so you might want to research what these are bringing out in the market.  I've used your photos and circled what I see that seems to match what VV shows, the notch on the "W" and the ridge of the "G" are especially telling I think.

g.jpeg

r.jpeg

w.jpeg

Thank you so very much for your time in examining my coin photos. I truly appreciate it. I know the condition is rough, and it’s value probably is not much (don’t really intend on trying to sell it), but I would be more pleased in putting it in my collection and knowing I have an earlier year cent that is unique. Thanks again for your time Coinbuf. 

Hard to tell for sure but looking at the letters, you may have a Doubled die. I still believe that Abe has Machine Doubling on his face and neck. It is possible that you have a Lincoln with both MD and DD.

46 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Hard to tell for sure but looking at the letters, you may have a Doubled die. I still believe that Abe has Machine Doubling on his face and neck. It is possible that you have a Lincoln with both MD and DD.

Hello Greenstang. The neck “doubling” does slightly resemble MD in my pics even though I can see rounded edges under magnification with coin in hand. Just not sure. However, the mouth and nose area doubling is just too perfectly rounded and clean, in my opinion, for me to believe it’s MD or Strike doubling. And then the gracious efforts of Coinbuf to look at the letters may have (hopefully) solidified that this is a true DDO. Only one way to tell and that’s to send it in. Thank you very much for your reply to my post. I truly appreciate everyone’s input.