• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this silver eagle counterfeit?

15 posts in this topic

I suspect most members will want more detailed and sharper photos. I don't see anything obviously wrong with the slab label.

Welcome to the boards, in order to give you any advice we need to see both sides of the coin and in this case the slab, all TPG slabs have had some thickness variations due to design changes and sometimes supplier variations.  From your one obv photo the label does not look quite right, but a photo of the rev and rev label will be needed.

Thank you for the welcome.

Ive compared the case to some of my Morgans in the same style case, and to my newbie eye the holograph looks the same. The thing that had me worried was the case thickness variation along with the odd toning around the edges. It almost looks like it is pealing.

Here is a picture of the back. Some of the odd toning is visible around the edge.

CFA51255-CC30-4FF4-994B-46951EDBAAE4.thumb.jpeg.bf515b68ddcf13b9242e998e3deada58.jpeg

The toning is fine, nearly pure silver will tone that way sometimes, the rev label looks fine and I see no evidence of tampering.  I think that obv label is one used just for bullion which is what threw me off at first, I'm 99% sure you are fine.

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

The toning is fine, nearly pure silver will tone that way sometimes, the rev label looks fine and I see no evidence of tampering.  I think that obv label is one used just for bullion which is what threw me off at first, I'm 99% sure you are fine.

Thank you! 

No one has said it, but the cert lookup checks out as well. There is no NGC picture associated with it, but that's common. The toning makes it looks like the coin is eaten away along the rim, but I can't tell if it's an optical illusion. I have a dime in a holder identical to yours but I don't keep up with all the different styles.

This is a look that relatively quickly develops on ASE's that have been stored in an album such as a Dansco album. I keep a set of the bullion level (unmintmarked) ASE's and you can watch the peripheral toning "grow" as you go backward in time. I've been lucky. So far, no milk spots. When I move to Alabama, all bets are off.