• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976-S proof 69 Dcam silver
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,  I here alot on this forum that it best to buy already graded coins. But hearing from individuals that the capsule's can also be a fluke. I have this coin and the bar code is on the reverse. I searched other one's and it's on the obverse with the numbers. Is this just an older capsule and the newer one's are different. When I see something different or odd it makes me curious if I got a genuine coin. I I type in the number in the PCGS coin search. It just has the description and no photo like the others. Hmmm 

20200822_081212.jpg

20200822_081133.jpg

Edited by Hinkle

39 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

That is an older style holder that was used from 1998-2002 at which time they moved the bar code to the reverse.

Thanks, greenstang 

This was a very short lived version labeled generation 6 in the Conder101 book where the PCGS coin number and series numbers do not appear.  Reported to have been used only for Nov and Dec of 1998, soon replaced with a version where the coin and series numbers are printed on the front of the label.   On the PCGS museum of slabs PCGS does not differentiate between the many number of transitional labels that were used and this would be call a generation 4 holder by PCGS used from 1998-2002 as Greenstang noted.

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

This was a very short lived version labeled generation 6 in the Conder101 book where the PCGS coin number and series numbers do not appear.  Reported to have been used only for Nov and Dec of 1998, soon replaced with a version where the coin and series numbers are printed on the front of the label.   On the PCGS museum of slabs PCGS does not differentiate between the many number of transitional labels that were used and this would be call a generation 4 holder by PCGS used from 1998-2002 as Greenstang noted.

Thank you, Coinbuf. So I have a rare slab, Haha. Just kidding, good to know that.

9 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Nice quarter! I graduated from high school in 1976, so I am hunting for these myself. Hard to find in the wild in MS grade.

Had to have it because I was born in 1976. The red book says  9.00 dollars at pr69. But gave 15 for it. It's a keeper. 

18 hours ago, Hinkle said:

Had to have it because I was born in 1976. The red book says  9.00 dollars at pr69. But gave 15 for it. It's a keeper. 

Nice coin.  Actually the PCGS price guide for this coin is 32 if I read it correctly, so for 15 you got a good deal.  

44610BEE-65BA-4253-8125-C7E7FAB88F8A.png

That slab is rare possibly very rare.  I have seen less than a dozen them.  Oddly almost all of the ones I have seen have had proof coins in them.  I've only seen three with MS coins in them.  They could be easily confused with my PCGS 7 which was used on the bullion coins and which has a larger hologram, and the date is below the grade.

The barcode was moved to the back label starting on these and stayed there until Feb 2002.