• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Libery Olympa & George V Coin

16 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate any advice and estimate value of these 2 coins I just receive in my possession. I have done some research on it , but I would love to hear from all the coin collectors view of point.

Thanks in advance :)

S__4497493.jpg

S__4497495.jpg

S__4497496.jpg

S__4497497.jpg

The American one, if real, contains almost $1000 worth of gold at current prices.

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

The American one, if real, contains almost $1000 worth of gold at current prices.

Yup , It is real 22K 90% Gold , 

In the future will the price increase or it is just a normal collectible coin may I ask ?

13 minutes ago, Benny159 said:

Yup , It is real 22K 90% Gold , 

In the future will the price increase or it is just a normal collectible coin may I ask ?

There are not a lot of collectors for that Olympic coin it's value is tied to the spot value of gold more than as a numismatic collectable, very much like US gold eagles.  Impossible to say what gold prices will do in the future, 6 months ago gold was $1500 an ounce today it is just about $2000 an ounce a year from now it could be higher or lower

There are no obvious faults on it. That's the good news. The bad news is that when it was issued, gold was very low by today's standards, and it was very heavily purchased, meaning it is not terribly rare. Someday I hope to snag one, but not at these gold prices. I predict this gold jump will be just like the last one - a very quick run up followed by a gradual decline over several years.

22 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

There are not a lot of collectors for that Olympic coin it's value is tied to the spot value of gold more than as a numismatic collectable, very much like US gold eagles.  Impossible to say what gold prices will do in the future, 6 months ago gold was $1500 an ounce today it is just about $2000 an ounce a year from now it could be higher or lower

Totally understood. Thanks for details. What about the George V coin ?

15 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

There are no obvious faults on it. That's the good news. The bad news is that when it was issued, gold was very low by today's standards, and it was very heavily purchased, meaning it is not terribly rare. Someday I hope to snag one, but not at these gold prices. I predict this gold jump will be just like the last one - a very quick run up followed by a gradual decline over several years.

Thanks for your kind reply Kurt ! , I totally agree with you on this. Do you have any ideas about the George V coin ?

7 minutes ago, Benny159 said:

Thanks for your kind reply Kurt ! , I totally agree with you on this. Do you have any ideas about the George V coin ?

It's a 1911 Sovereign, or a half Sovereign. Without a size reference, it's difficult to say which. In that era, they were used some in commerce. It appears to the American eye as an AU coin. Be careful about that with British listings, which often recognize nothing between XF and Unc. I have references at home, but I am not there.

Kurt is correct-

It is a either a 1/2 gold sovereign or a full sovereign. A 1/2 weighs 3.99g and a full weighs 7.98 g. These were also issued by the Canadian Mint which are more valuable but hard to tell whether yours is or not. These have also been heavily counterfeited but yours looks genuine, but would like to see a straight on picture of both sides instead of on an angle to be sure. It would also help if they were cropped instead of all that background.

1 hour ago, Benny159 said:

Totally understood. Thanks for details. What about the George V coin ?

I don't collect world coins which is why I did not comment on it, looks like greenstang has a good handle on so I leave you in capable hands.

23 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Kurt is correct-

It is a either a 1/2 gold sovereign or a full sovereign. A 1/2 weighs 3.99g and a full weighs 7.98 g. These were also issued by the Canadian Mint which are more valuable but hard to tell whether yours is or not. These have also been heavily counterfeited but yours looks genuine, but would like to see a straight on picture of both sides instead of on an angle to be sure. It would also help if they were cropped instead of all that background.

IMG_2383.jpg

Kurt is correct-

Hi Man , 

Thanks for your kind reply and intel on this. I have attached some photos for you to see. The file is big so I can only attach few pictures. I notice that the coin is old. There is a small imprinted B.M under the Neck of Kind George. However , I do not see the C on top of 1911. Maybe it is no Canadian mint , or just old damaged.

IMG_2386.jpg

Kurt is correct-

It is a 7.98G. Full.

Much better pictures. A little glare in the upper right but still OK.

It is a Royal Mint Sovereign. They were also produced at the three Australian Mints and the Royal Canadian Mint.

My problem is with the authenticity of the coin. The fields seem to be a little rough, especially on the obverse and there seems to be a lack of detail, especially on the reverse that is consistent with counterfeits. Many of these counterfeits were made from 80% gold as opposed to the 91.7% gold of a genuine coin. Have you taken it to anyone to verify the gold content? That would be one way of checking. I may be wrong as I am not an expert on these, I am just going by what I see. Perhaps someone else can give an opinion.

I have enclosed a picture of a genuine and counterfeit Sovereign to point out what I am referring to.

1911 C O.jpg

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

6 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Much better pictures. A little glare in the upper right but still OK.

It is a Royal Mint Sovereign. They were also produced at the three Australian Mints and the Royal Canadian Mint.

My problem is with the authenticity of the coin. The fields seem to be a little rough, especially on the obverse and there seems to be a lack of detail, especially on the reverse that is consistent with counterfeits. Many of these counterfeits were made from 80% gold as opposed to the 91.7% gold of a genuine coin. Have you taken it to anyone to verify the gold content? That would be one way of checking. I may be wrong as I am not an expert on these, I am just going by what I see. Perhaps someone else can give an opinion.

I have enclosed a picture of a genuine and counterfeit Sovereign to point out what I am referring to.

1911 C O.jpg

Hi Greenstag, Once again thanks for the details. I will check the percentage of the gold and update you here later :)