• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin / Token ID help

12 posts in this topic

Hello, first post here.  I posted this coin on another forum and struck out on an ID.  I can’t find any info anywhere.  

This coin was with a small assortment of gold coins contained in a recently passed on collection.  Any help would be appreciated!  There is a small 900 below the bear that does not show up in the pictures.

371E9C5D-D218-4F9C-AD79-36FFD72622B5.jpeg

BD4F6087-3A32-4C6A-BAD6-88F89CDB640F.jpeg

The Berliner Funkturm or Funkturm Berlin (Berlin Radio Tower) is a former broadcasting tower in Berlin. Constructed between 1924 and 1926 to designs by the architect Heinrich Straumer, it was inaugurated on 3 September 1926, on the occasion of the opening of the third Große Deutsche Funkausstellung (Great German Radio Exhibition) in the grounds of the Messe Berlin trade fair in the borough of Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf. Nicknamed der lange Lulatsch ("the lanky lad"), the tower is one of the best-known points of interest in the city of Berlin and, while no longer used for broadcasting purposes, it remains a protected monument.

Looks like some kind of token to gain admission to this tourist attraction.  

Not a coin, which is probably why you can't find information on it.  There isn't nearly as much written on tokens, and even less on privately produced medals.

Edited by Conder101

17 minutes ago, rvajay said:

For what it’s worth, it is confirmed that it is gold,  1/4 oz TGW, by my LCS. No additional info.

What process did they use to determine that it is gold?

I guess I wasn't clear enough.  All you have to do is use a computer search program called Google and type in Berlin Funkturm.

Funkturm German - Radio tower English

auf wiedersehen

32 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

I guess I wasn't clear enough.  All you have to do is use a computer search program called Google and type in Berlin Funkturm.

Funkturm German - Radio tower English

auf wiedersehen

Thank you for that insight.  

The website links to Capital Catering, which I believe is the restaurant in the tower.

Team leader and PR Manager for the tower  (or possibly just the restaurant)

Kai.Kottenstede@messe-berlin.de

PR assistant:

Claudia.Dallmer@messe-berlin.de

You might email one or both of these with pictures of your piece, and see if they can shed some more light on the subject, or at least point you in the right direction.

11 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

The website links to Capital Catering, which I believe is the restaurant in the tower.

Team leader and PR Manager for the tower  (or possibly just the restaurant)

Kai.Kottenstede@messe-berlin.de

PR assistant:

Claudia.Dallmer@messe-berlin.de

You might email one or both of these with pictures of your piece, and see if they can shed some more light on the subject, or at least point you in the right direction.

Thanks, I did also come across their info while searching for info.  I thought about contacting them, and probably will.

Yeah, sorry for the lack of info, but, as Conder101 said, there is very little information available on modern tokens and medals. There are so many companies producing them for so many different purposes, that there is no way to keep up with all of them. If the above leads don't pan out, you might try one of the museums in Berlin that deals with local history, or maybe a historian from the university there. Unfortunately, that may not even work. There is a possibility that these were produced in another country, as part of a "National Monument" series,  or something similar.