• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999-D penny error
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I thought this would be a good puzzle for everyone. Don't know if it is just damaged or some kind of error. I think it is different coin's beat together. But there are imprint of other coin's and also raised on some. I have a funny feeling that this coin was a error at some time. The MM is both raised, the 1999 D nickel at the very top is incused. Three different D mint marks on Lincoln's head. And raised liberty above the original liberty. The rims look fine though. The reverse i thought where scratches but they are raised lines .Idk what would be your thought. Interesting piece. 

20200809_125250.jpg

20200809_125426.jpg

20200809_125555.jpg

20200809_124840.jpg

20200809_124946.jpg

My opinion:

It is damaged - caused by another coin being placed on top of it and struck repeatedly. After the first blow, the design from the lower coin was impressed into the upper coin, turning it into a "die" with an incuse design. The second blow then transferred this design back to the lower coin. This was done more than once, which is why you see backward and forward designs in different positions on your coin. The raised lines, on the reverse, and the mostly obliterated design, are from the surface on which the lower coin was resting when struck.