• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1884 3 cent nickel
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I have, what I believe, might be a very rare error. If anybody can find information on this please let me know

Coin is an 1884 3 cent nickel. It has a double die on the date. I've included pics. On the full coin it just makes the date look a bit fudgy. On the 30x pic it's more evident. The 60x pic is almost too blurry to be of help.

Am thinking of having graded but don't know a declared value.

20200808_024202.jpg

Edited by Voelker

Well, I've been looking at pics of other pieces of the same years and I'm starting to think these might be modified. Every piece I look up pics of have crisp numbers. All the ones I have the numbers look similar to the one pictured. Has anybody seen ones like this or am I looking at them too hard and trying to find issues not there? Any help would be appreciated.

Well, I've been looking at pics of other pieces of the same years and I'm starting to think these might be modified

Or possibly counterfeit I know that counterfeits of these were made. In any case it would not be a DD as there were only about 1700 Business strikes produced, so there was more than likely only one die that struck all the coins. The date is definitely different from an original. Perhaps one of our members with more experience in the 3 cent nickels can weigh in.

Post better images of both sides, outside of the capsule if it's easy to open. I don't have experience with these either but I think it's counterfeit. This is a $1000+ coin even in VF and the date and letters look wrong. I wouldn't worry about doubling in the date until we can figure out if it's real.

The date looks all wrong. It is not only much fatter, but the numbers, especially the "1," are the wrong shape, and the "4" is in the wrong place.

Counterfeit CuNi 3 cent and 5 cent were a persistent problem through the 1920s. There are many letters in mint archives concerning the problem. Your item appears to be fake, based on the photos.

19 hours ago, Voelker said:

I have, what I believe, might be a very rare error. If anybody can find information on this please let me know

Coin is an 1884 3 cent nickel. It has a double die on the date. I've included pics. On the full coin it just makes the date look a bit fudgy. On the 30x pic it's more evident. The 60x pic is almost too blurry to be of help.

Am thinking of having graded but don't know a declared value.

20200808_024202.jpg

[Another 30x user! Very handy tool. Nice to know I am not the only one. Do hope you get the answer you seek.]

19 hours ago, Voelker said:

20200808_024202.jpg

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Duplication

According to Gifford, both the proof and business strike dies used the same four digit logotype punch (and he only lists two obv dies, both used to strike proof and one to strike business strikes) This punch doesn't match.

Odds are very likely this is a recent counterfeit

On 8/10/2020 at 7:07 PM, Conder101 said:

According to Gifford, both the proof and business strike dies used the same four digit logotype punch (and he only lists two obv dies, both used to strike proof and one to strike business strikes) This punch doesn't match.

Odds are very likely this is a recent counterfeit

Yup, I sent it off and it was deemed a struck copy. $50 wasted.