• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1987-P mint set
2 2

5 posts in this topic

Hello again everyone, I did some research on this half dollar and figured out it's not much unless it's really high grade. I have not stepped up into trying to grade anything, haven't got that far in this hobby yet. But as a newbie, from what I have learned on some of the posts on this forum that nic's can drop the grade down alot. There's alot of nic's on this coin. So the little things I know is this set is uncirculated. Maybe brilliant uncirculated. Idk I may be wrong lol. I'm thinking knowing that it might not have that high grade, to keep the set the way it is. I heard alot of people broke these open and spent them. Can someone let me know if that is MD on the word Half Dollar. I'm just wondering because the D in dollar looks like some kind of DD. Thanks. 

20200730_133406.jpg

20200730_133234.jpg

20200730_110201.jpg

20200730_110310.jpg

I would be surprised if the half graded higher than MS 62, judging by the pictures.

They didn't take any special care with these before they packaged them. You might think a coin sealed in the mint and mailed to a collector would be pristine, but with the older mint sets that is not the case.

62 is too harsh. I see this as a borderline 64-65, and I have 5 of them slabbed as NGC 66's. The two hits in front of the chin and the one on the neck are what informs the grade for me.

Edited by VKurtB

18 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I would be surprised if the half graded higher than MS 62, judging by the pictures.

They didn't take any special care with these before they packaged them. You might think a coin sealed in the mint and mailed to a collector would be pristine, but with the older mint sets that is not the case.

Not to mention those older proof sets from the 50's, packaged in flimsy cellophane, stapled once at the top and distributed in flimsy cardboard boxes. Anybody remember those? Carbon spotting was nothing unusual.