• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1843 penny

7 posts in this topic

A decently worn braided hair arg Cent, on a less-than-average planchet. Other than the corrosion seen on the planchet ( since this was like his when it was minted, and wasn't PMD) I don't see much wrong with the coin. I can't tell from the picture if there has been any cleaning though.

No point in getting it graded, it would cost much more than the value of the coin.  I would put it in a flip or 2x2 holder to protect.  Nice, coin I love large cents!

I do collect large cents, but I've never sent one in for grading. Would the rim damage at the 9 o'clock position prevent a straight grade?

I think the rim ding might slide but the environmental damage/corrosion would almost certainly negate a straight grade imo.

To the OP, I'm no expert but I believe this is a Petite Head, Small Letters coin (there were three distinct versions of cent coins made in 1843) with a relatively small mintage of around 2.4M.  Because the condition of your coin is very poor due to the corrosion and wear it's value is likely less than $20 so not worth the cost to have it graded and slabbed.

Edited by Coinbuf