• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PRETTY COOL LINCOLN!!
1 1

21 posts in this topic

So.... I’m roughly 0 for 20 on doubled dies.... (been shot down so many times only to pick myself up, dust off and keep on looking..... haha) but I did find this today and thought I’d post it for some feedback and to see if there’s any significant value to it. Not exactly sure what the exact term is for this strike other than its obviously way off center. I’ll research that soon. Thanks for looking. 

BE2E0431-1FD5-4497-9BC2-A1FA101DD070.jpeg

539BAF58-FF5D-4C5C-9225-3D5B1EF30D50.jpeg

I don't think it's worth a ton, but it's a definite off center strike, an authentic error, and a very welcome change from the river of PMD and DDD "errors" heaped upon the forum by various posters. I wonder if any of the Coneca folks post here.

Looks to be approximately a 15% off center strike, nice error to find and I'm sure it does have some value but I'm not an error collector so I cannot advise on how much. 

Did you find this in pocket change? 

This is a decent off-center lincoln cent. It's not misaligned dies because only the obverse would be off-center, and in this case both are off so it was the planchet, not the dies. For off-center pieces, the more off center, the more the money, as long as you can still see the date. This is only worth a couple of dollars, but definitely a great find!

7 minutes ago, Big Nub numismatics said:

This is a decent off-center lincoln cent. It's not misaligned dies because only the obverse would be off-center, and in this case both are off so it was the planchet, not the dies. 

And I stand corrected and learned something also.

1 hour ago, Big Nub numismatics said:

Did you find this in pocket change? 

This is a decent off-center lincoln cent. It's not misaligned dies because only the obverse would be off-center, and in this case both are off so it was the planchet, not the dies. For off-center pieces, the more off center, the more the money, as long as you can still see the date. This is only worth a couple of dollars, but definitely a great find!

Thank you for your comment. Found this Cent this morning in a standard ol’ LOOMIS paper wrapped bank roll from my local bank. Pretty neat. The date is still visible as you can see it is a 1998. 

38 minutes ago, ronnie stein said:

As lucky as you are Mr. Bradford, I'm surprised it doesn't have a double ear lobe. Excellent find pal. 

Thanks Ronnie!!!

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Looks to be approximately a 15% off center strike, nice error to find and I'm sure it does have some value but I'm not an error collector so I cannot advise on how much. 

Thank you Coinbuf for your comment. I was actually just moments ago offered a relatively nice amount of $ (close to 4 figures) for this coin (maybe someone has lost their mind... don’t know ..). Not sure if I want to let it go though even though the offer was very tempting. I guess I have been searching long enough now and have simply grown too “fond and close” to these types of coins that I have so luckily found. Thanks!

2 hours ago, JKK said:

I don't think it's worth a ton, but it's a definite off center strike, an authentic error, and a very welcome change from the river of PMD and DDD "errors" heaped upon the forum by various posters. I wonder if any of the Coneca folks post here.

Thanks JKK

If you were actually offered high three figures grab it and run, even if there was a decimal point before the last two.

55 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

If you were actually offered high three figures grab it and run, even if there was a decimal point before the last two.

Would you politely further expand on what you exactly mean by “decimal points before the last two”? Just FYI, I did decide to sell it earlier tonight for 3 figures and there were not any “decimal points” involved. And the first number started with an EIGHT.

And just for the record to all of you on this forum who I truly feel like calling my friends. I sincerely appreciate everyone who is so kind in commenting on my “finds” in a non sarcastic manner, even when I think I have hit the “jackpot” but then realize I have nothing more than, well..... a 1 cent coin....... I really enjoy this forum and I have learned a tremendous amount from the experts here, THANK YOU!! I am here to learn more about numismatics and feel that I have come a long way in a short period of time. This is the first coin I have ever sold. I was reluctant in letting it go but I could just not turn down the offer. It was sort of bitter sweet because it was definitely a beautiful error but, o well...... there’s more to be found. Thank you all. 

Sure.  I figure it isn't worth more than three figures with two of them after the decimal point.  Say $9.99  If you check out the sold listings on ebay the prices vary a fair bit, but it isn't too hard to find them in the $10 and under range.  If you actually sold it for $800 or more it was to someone who didn't have a clue what he was buying.  And he is probably going to be pretty upset when he finds out what it is really worth.

Now if it had been a 2008 instead of a 1998 then it might be worth closer to what you say you got.  After 2001 off-centers REALLY dry up.

Edited by Conder101
spelling correction

I'm no expert and nothing but a searcher of stuff online, but a 25% off-center in MS64 Red sold on Heritage last September for $75. Beware of getting scammed. 10x for a coin in a lesser grade with a smaller offset sounds really fishy.

12 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I'm no expert and nothing but a searcher of stuff online, but a 25% off-center in MS64 Red sold on Heritage last September for $75. Beware of getting scammed. 10x for a coin in a lesser grade with a smaller offset sounds really fishy.

Thank you kbbpl for your concerns. I really appreciate it and I totally agree with you regarding the scammers out there. Fortunately, I sold it to a good friend of mine who is an AVID error collector. He has more money than he knows what to do with (must be nice, lol). I’ve known him probably half my life and he really enjoys helping people out that he likes.  We both knew and agreed that this coin would never come close to bringing  that much at an auction. This was quite simply just a friend helping out a friend, a beautiful thing.