• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading dateless/near dateless coins

4 posts in this topic

When I bought a NGC membership I had many questions. My first one is, when grading near dateless coins how much time is put into finding the correct date or any date at all and does this change depending on possible value. If a date isn’t found will differences in the design, (if there is any) strike, metal composition, etc. be used to find the coins date. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

If the date isn't readable, it won't be certified. You can still determine the lost date of some coins by hub features that are unique to particular dates. An example is the 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter Dollar, which has a slightly different obverse hub from the 1917 Type 1 quarter. Of course, Type 1 Buffalo Nickels are immediately identifiable by their unique reverse hubs. The quarter is saleable at a premium if it can be determined as having been a 1916, but the nickels are worth less than a dollar without their dates.

Thanks, the coin I’m going to get graded has a unique design to that year. I was just worried because it was so similar to the later dates and I could see the date very faintly.

Edited by CoinCoward