• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2008 50c lion missing it's head Coa error?

9 posts in this topic

Hi I have found a 2008 50c coin with what  seems to be an error,  I cannot find anything online about it.

On the bottom right of the Coa the lion is missing it's head!? 

Any help would be appreciated 

Sorry for the bad photo I will take a better shot of it if needed. 

Snapchat-432798007.jpg

Edited by JordiI Jacinta

I'm not sure how possible it is that it could be a bit of strike weakness, but I wouldn't rule it out. That's close to the center of the design. Could also be a grease-filled spot in the die.

Welcome to the Forum

Looks to me like a partially grease filled die. Not uncommon.

In the future, please rotate your pictures properly and show both sides. Don't even know where that coin is from.

3 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum

Looks to me like a partially grease filled die. Not uncommon.

In the future, please rotate your pictures properly and show both sides. Don't even know where that coin is from.

Your admonition is spot on. However, if you note the animals framing the design, the coin's country of origin is unmistakable in this case.

8 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Looks like a monkey, not a lion. Australia coin? Because of the kangaroo and emu.

*hums didgeridoo music*

42 minutes ago, JKK said:

*hums didgeridoo music*

Googled it. It is a Australian half dollar and the reverse is the coat of arms. The obverse is QEII. That is supposed to be an image of a lion. I am guessing die damage, grease is the word.

On 7/23/2020 at 9:46 AM, JKK said:

Your admonition is spot on. However, if you note the animals framing the design, the coin's country of origin is unmistakable in this case.

The San Diego Zoo issued coins?!