• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions 72'

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I found this cent in change from the bank. It looks cool and red. Recently I saw a 1972 Double Die Obverse on great collections.com.

It doesn't have obvious doubling, Could this cent of mine be a double die like that one? Thank you 

IMG_9829.jpg

IMG_9830.jpg

There are a number of “lesser” DDO’s in 1972, but only the “biggie” trades at a significant price. 

There are 9 DDO's for 1972, only die 1 (FS-101) is the money coin however both die 2 (FS-102) and die 3 (FS-103) show fairly significant doubling and are sometimes mistaken as the money coin.  Your obv photo is not close enough and when I try to zoom in the photo becomes too pixilated to be able to identify if you have one of the lesser variants.  All of the lesser DDO's have some slight premium but not very much as there is not much demand for them, I have two of the die 1 coins and somewhere along the way I was given a die 8.  Check here http://lincolncentresource.com/doubledies/doubledies.html and compare your coin to the photos to determine if you have one of the nine die pairs.

I just looked at a few FS-103 on Heritage and I can barely see anything. Last sale was 8 years ago but hardly worth the cost of grading. Like Coinbuf says, tough to say yes or no from your image. The FS-101 looks pretty crazy though.

As someone mentioned, there are several recognized 1972 DDOs, with "the big one" selling for hundreds of dollars.  But the good news is, I've sold quite a few lesser 1972 DDOs for pretty decent profit - say $10 per coin (in UNC), more or less.  And that was quite a number of years ago.

There are collectors who try to assemble full sets of all the known 1972 DDOs.