• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bullion eagles mint designation on census reports

7 posts in this topic

Since the Bullion Silver Eagle has no mint marks & has been primarily minted at other Mint locations over the years. With all the supplement issues having a mint location in parentheses (P), (S) ect. on graded examples. I have noticed the (W) "minted at West point" is being put on slabs for every year, along with other slabs without anything on them. Even the registry has a spot for every year of minted in west point & regular Bullion no mint location. Aren't they both the same coin from the West point mint? Isn't the west point mint the primary mint making these? Also in the census report, it shows that all the bullion coins as being minted at Philadelphia mint from 1986 to present. 

They are all the same coin.  Take them out of the slab, and you can't tell where it was minted.  Bullion eagles have no mint mark.  But supposedly the third party graders (such as our hosts here) can supposedly tell which mint they came from based on the serial number on the band that encloses monster boxes.  This started around 2011 I believe.  But this way they can sell you different labels/slabs for the same coin.  No mint designated, struck at West Point and struck at San Francisco.  And in the case of 2015, struck at Philadelphia.  

In most years, save for "special editions" or anniversary editions, there are 3 different eagles minted.  Business strike, burnished and proof.  

Yes, I know how the supplement coins work & how they are all suppose to be the same. The Question is Why is it in the census that they have a (W) Minted at West point & No mint mark indication eagles from 2011 to present when they were both made at West point? The one with no mint mark indication shows minted in Philadelphia?

Don't get tied up with getting bullion coins in slabs with label designations. It won't end well for you. It's "fake numismatics".

How will YOU be listed on the 2020 census forms?

Edited by VKurtB

I didn't say I was buying them. I simply am curious on the two different designations for the same coin? And why in the census, they have all of them marked as minted in Philadelphia? We all know West point has been doing these and any supplement has been in ().

These are not supplemental coins.  At least not the way you are thinking.  As to your question as to why they are in the census it's because it gets people to buy the same coin mutiple times.  But as @VKurtB, don't get hung up on the labels.  If you can't take it out of the slab and tell me where it was minted, in my opinion it shouldn't be on the label.  It's why I gave up on my registry set for silver eagles.  Between collecting all the labels, in all the different strikes, I had over 200 graded eagles.  In reality, there were maybe 80 different eagles.  

The local German butcher has some mintmarked Würstchen hanging around his shop.

In HS there was this girl who was in lots of locations, too....is that the same as Würstchen?