• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bag mark vs scratch
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I am having a hard time telling if this is a bag mark or a scratch. My pictures aren't the greatest but if there is some technique to differentiating the two, I would appreciate the insight. It is by the I in EIRE. 

Thank you

IMG_0178.jpeg

IMG_0180.jpeg

1954 half crown.jpg

Hard to discern the depth of the marks from the photos the one above the instrument looks more like a scrape.  Sometimes with large heavy coins like Morgan dollars you will see scrapes like this from a coin that contacted and slid along the surface of the coin.  But down by the date looks more like damage/scratch.

A surface graze like that could derive from innumerable possible causes, including being stored in a (mint) bag, or just sliding oddly across another object.  It appears gradeable to me (if that's the point of the question).

A "bag mark" can be a "scratch." It's only a matter of detail - both are damage. And -- it didn't hit the strings so no noise was made.

6 hours ago, RWB said:

A "bag mark" can be a "scratch." It's only a matter of detail - both are damage. And -- it didn't hit the strings so no noise was made.

And the intact accent aigu over the lower-case e and well-defined dentil work -- and superb overall condition contribute to the desirability of your coin.