• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GSA Hoard Question/s

93 posts in this topic

As far as I know the GSA sold whatever they had on a bid basis (what I think you mean by "first-come-first-served") no matter how limited a particular year and mark may have been.  And there were some with a much greater availability.

Is there information available other than maybe rumors that would suggest otherwise, or that the GSA did anything underhanded?

Edited by EagleRJO

On 5/25/2023 at 2:19 AM, EagleRJO said:

As far as I know the GSA sold whatever they had on a bid basis (what I think you mean by "first-come-first-served") no matter how limited a particular year and mark may have been.  And there were some with a much greater availability.

Is there information available other than maybe rumors that would suggest otherwise, or that the GSA did anything underhanded?

No, I'm not implying that.  Take a look at the GSA Hoard totals available for a few years from this link:

https://www.southgatecoins.com/gsa-carson-city-hoard-history

I'm just wondering how they disposed of those coins.  They HAD to know that if you only had 1 coin available for 3 of those years that they'd command a higher market price than the ones with hundreds of thousands available.  And I believe those 1-GSA coins were already pricey, right ?

On 5/25/2023 at 9:28 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Take a look at the GSA Hoard totals available for a few years from this link ... I'm just wondering how they disposed of those coins.

I have seen those figures before, and as far as I know they were all bid, including the limited availability years.

On 5/25/2023 at 9:28 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

They HAD to know that if you only had 1 coin available for 3 of those years that they'd command a higher market price than the ones with hundreds of thousands available.  And I believe those 1-GSA coins were already pricey, right ?

For the years with very limited availability you would of course expect a higher bid price ... supply and demand.  I don't know if they were pricey at the time, but they are pricey now ... esp the 1889-CC and 1893-CC Morgans.  Those two, as well as a few others like the 1893-S, have been a thorn in my side finishing up a complete circulation set I have been working on.