• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1914 caballito un peso

11 posts in this topic

I have 3 1914 caballito un pesos. They're in good shape, never graded. I was told they're worth quite a bit. Does anyone have any info on this, I'm very green to this stuff. 

received_295093514942943~2.jpeg

received_932352137284905~2.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. I am afraid your coin is a fake. I do not collect these, and I am no expert in Mexican coinage, but I have seen quite a few fake coins, and this one has that look.

Ok, I will definitely take that into consideration. I got it from my wife's dad down in Mexico a couple of weeks ago. Here is all 3 of them. I went to a coin shop today and he said he wanted it graded before he bought it. He didn't mention anything about fake, but like I said, it very well could be. I just don't know. 

received_932352137284905.jpeg

received_295093514942943.jpeg

Edited by Cmcnutt11

Very poor definition indicates fake. Might make interesting drink coasters. No collector value.

Ok, so what do you suggest here? Should I send it in and see if they really are fake? I don’t know if I’m willing to risk a possibility of something that is worth 3-4K each, just because it “may” be fake. Coin guy said at least it’s real silver, so heck, if anything, I’ll just save them for that. Real suggestions rather than satire jokes?

I don't have enough knowledge of this series to make even an educated guess, but on a factual matter such as this (I disagree with him on other "interpretation" issues) I'm guessing @RWB is about as good a source as you're likely to find online. I do know older and newer Un Peso coins, but I never had cause to deal with these. As a general rule, the Mexico City mint has typically been known for its sharp crisp designs, which these lack, so that militates toward the gentlemen above being correct.

Edited by VKurtB

There is an awesome book out there for anyone considering collecting these or who just likes reading about coins in general, MEXICAN BEAUTY, Un Peso Caballito by Allan Schein. I've never owned a Little Horse Peso, but this is one of my favorite numismatic books. Well worth the $40 or so if you're thinking about collecting these. I agree, the coins in this thread look questionable at best, I'd avoid all of them.

A1Hdm1HFHNL.thumb.jpg.157c1cf3fd43fed406d677d19bf5b490.jpg