• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943steel penny misprint

15 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Forum-

This Forum is actually for buying and selling coins, perhaps a moderator can move it.

We will need pictures to see what is actually going on with your coin but it is probably either damage or a partially grease filled die. Either case is nothing that would increase the value of the coin.

Terminology correction-  Coins are minted or struck, currency is printed.

2 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum-

This Forum is actually for buying and selling coins, perhaps a moderator can move it.

We will need pictures to see what is actually going on with your coin but it is probably either damage or a partially grease filled die. Either case is nothing that would increase the value of the coin.

Terminology correction-  Coins are minted or struck, currency is printed.

The coin is a clean coin no damage or grease fill.

20200708_230343.jpg

20200708_230152.jpg

You don't understand, sometimes the dies used for striking (not printing) coins will have grease in a small area of the die and a few coins that are minted before the grease falls out may have soft or missing details.  Your photos are too small and become too pixilated when I enlarge to see any details, if you want further info please post a clear cropped photo of both sides of the coin in question so we can see what your describing.

Missing details from a grease filled die are very common and do not increase the value of the coin.

Edited by Coinbuf

My understanding of the minting process with these coins is that the steel was rolled out into a sheet, which was then plated with zinc on both sides. The blanks were punched from this sheet, leaving the obverse and reverse coated with zinc, but the edge uncoated. Even after the minting process, there should be a seam on the edge, where there is minimal or no plating. After circulating for a while, the coins would often corrode and/or  rust, and sometimes would be replated by sellers who wanted to make them more attractive to collectors. That included the edge, which would then have no visible seam. I don't see it (the seam) in your pictures, but, you have the coin in hand, and are better able to tell whether or not it  is there. That is why I said "looks to have been replated", not "is replated." Whether or not they were being replated as early as 1950 is something I do not know.

Edited by Just Bob

Thank you for your help. I do appreciate all of the input. I am not a collector though I have a lot of coins and currency that has been passed down to me. I will take  look when I get home and let you know. Thank you again.