• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not another bogus penny error?

16 posts in this topic

Hi, found some old pennies that are from a dew decades or more past. I hate error's! 

They give me a headache so I'll only ask a couple of times lol. 1982 P has a couple of O like marks to your left of the columns?  Error ? Trail? Nothing- probably?

It was cool just finding them because some of them are in great condition. Thank you guys. 

IMG_9621.jpg

I don't see doubling anywhere, and I don't know what a "trail die" is.

Remember: there are fewer participants on this forum than most other coin forums, and that sometimes means longer wait times to get answers to your questions.

37 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Remember: there are fewer participants on this forum than most other coin forums, and that sometimes means longer wait times to get answers to your questions.

Word. If I have a time constraint by which it's legitimate to nag me to hurry up and reply, then I want a pay raise to go with it.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

Word. If I have a time constraint by which it's legitimate to nag me to hurry up and reply, then I want a pay raise to go with it.

Wait, you get paid?

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Oh ok. I didn't mean to rush anyone. Won't happen again. I'm sorry. Thank you for your research sir.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

Thank you sir. I apologize.  Thank you for your research.

52 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

Wait, you get paid?

*spoon*. Wasn't supposed to say anything. Now I've done gone and *spoon*ed it up.

I have heard people use the terms 'trails' before. It seems to be used as a misnomer of plating separation lines or gas bubbles. But I am not sure if this is what the OP is asking. 

33 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

I have heard people use the terms 'trails' before. It seems to be used as a misnomer of plating separation lines or gas bubbles. But I am not sure if this is what the OP is asking. 

There's a whole website dedicated to them - https://www.traildies.com/. They seem to be a real thing, whatever causes them. In this case I think it's just linear plating bubbles.

1 hour ago, Moxie15 said:

well, I'll be! Fred Weinberg is listed as 'Advisor' is he on this forum?

I don't recall seeing him post here, at least not recently.  He does post on the PCGS forum.

2 hours ago, kbbpll said:

There's a whole website dedicated to them - https://www.traildies.com/. They seem to be a real thing, whatever causes them. In this case I think it's just linear plating bubbles.

Oh, ok. I remember reading about these a while back. They are caused by a rotary buffer or polisher. I don't recall ever having seen one up close, though.

Don't see any "trails" on this coin, either.

Edited by Just Bob

“Happy traaaaails to youuuuu, ‘til we meeeet ahhhh-gainnnn...” :headbang: