• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 over 1941 Canadian 25 cent

38 posts in this topic

It’s okay to be wrong it helps us to grow. All 1970 quarters were minted in copper nickel clad including the famed error coin 1970 over 1941.

10 hours ago, Ratzie33 said:

It’s okay to be wrong it helps us to grow. All 1970 quarters were minted in copper nickel clad including the famed error coin 1970 over 1941.

You are misunderstanding the coin composition.The coin in the story was not a minted on a 1970 quarter planchet. It was struck on an already-minted 1941 Canadian quarter, which was an 80% silver/20% copper alloy. Those Canadian quarters were not clad, and had NO copper core.Your coin has a copper core. It is NOT the same type of planchet/coin.

You are not going to be convinced that you are wrong by any of us, so the following is for future readers of this thread:

The Daily Mail article cited in this thread, the original Woman's World article, and any other article which hypes this coin and/or gives the impression that someone may find one of these in their pocket change, are misleading at best. The Daily Mail, especially, is known for its sensationalist journalism, which is designed to get readership, not to inform. The coin described is a PROOF coin, and would very likely not be found in circulation.The coin posted by the OP is NOT a proof coin, and is not an example of this error. The explanation by Kurt, given above  - a mint employee secretly putting a Canadian coin in the planchet bin or the coin press - is a likely reason for the existence of the only known error coin.

Edited by Just Bob

9 hours ago, Ratzie33 said:

I would suggest a little research before making claims like this.

Also for future readers of any thread by @Ratzie33, the gentleman (I assume) has no knowledge of numismatics, and everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, he writes here, or anywhere else for that matter, needs to be taken with a railcar of salt. Dump the whole stinking train on there.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:22 PM, Ratzie33 said:

For anyone who wants to be a numismatist you’re sure know how to dissuade.

I don't think so.  First step in becoming a numismatist is a willingness to learn.  I haven't seen Kurt go after anyone who truly shows that trait.