• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found This 1779 Rhode Island Ship Token, Is It The Real Deal?

4 posts in this topic

So I live in Australia and I bought from a fellow a bunch of random british coins and years later I found this 1779 rhode island ship token thrown in with a bunch of random six pences, three pences and the like and at first when I saw the price I assumed it was just a replica but with my experience with old cooper coins everything about this one seems genuine.

What do you guys think? And if so how much would you reckon it's worth?

download (2).jpg

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

Welcome to the forum, sorry to say it is definitely a replica.  It has all the characteristics of a common cast souvenir type copy.  The picture is not the greatest, but I even believe I see an "R" for replica just below the 3 ships on the left.

Edited by l.cutler

Welcome to the NGC Forums

Agree and yes the R stands for replica. No value as a coin but someone might buy it as a replica.

Also in the future, please crop and rotate your photos properly. Too much background can be  destracting.

Edited by Greenstang